[nfbwatlk] The Blindness Movie

Jedi loneblindjedi at samobile.net
Mon May 4 23:52:21 UTC 2009

I hate to say it, but I think the world would indeed come to a
screeching hault if everyone suddenly went blind. I don't think it's
the blindness itself that's the problem. I think that the world would
stop because our society places a higher value on eyesight than on any
other sense, and so we have built our institutions around it. Most
sighted people would feel debilitated for a while until they ralized
that they aren't. Would the world be as bad as in the book and movie?
No. I don't think so. There are too many blind people in the world to
let that happen. I think we would be able to reach out to those we know
and help them get used to their newfound way of life. Eventually, the
knowledge would spread. The technology already in place for blind
people would help us get things started again. I think people would be
afraid, but I sincerely doubt it would be as bad as the film suggests
unless people made the outright choice to make things that bad.