[nfbwatlk] List Rules & Administrivia

Mike Freeman k7uij at panix.com
Sun Oct 4 23:44:30 UTC 2009

  "NFB of Washington Talk" list guidelines and tips:

(1) As stated at

the purpose of this list is to facilitate discussion among members of
the NFB of Washington and to present a means of disseminating
announcements of interest to members of the  NFB of Washington. There
will also be occasional posts concerning issues of major importance to
the blind as well as announcements concerning activities of the National
Federation of the Blind.

(2) As list moderator, I take a rather broad view of the range of
topics allowed on this list. In general, however, let's all try to keep
discussions germane to blindness and, more specifically, to the National
Federation of the
Blind and/or the National Federation of the Blind of Washington.  There
are other mailing lists primarily designed for discussion of other
topics and other aspects of blindness such as problems with the GUI
Interface, diabetes, dog guide issues, etc. etc. etc. Nevertheless,
discussion of such matters is definitely not prohibited as long as such
discussions  don't dominate the list.

(3) There are several exceptions to the "blindness-only" focus of this
list. I have declared that discussions of Mexican food, the Seattle
Mariners and the Seattle Seahawks are explicitly blindness-related!
(huge grin)

(4) When posting messages, bear in mind that the Internet extends
worldwide. While the focus of the list is matters of concern to the NFB
of Washington, list messages can be read by a wider audience.

(5) The only messages which will absolutely not be tolerated are those
containing personal attacks, VIRUSES OR WORMS, SPAM or blatantly
anti-NFB propaganda.  To those who protest that such prohibitions limit
their freedom of speech, I say:
(a) your Internet Service Provider never guaranteed you complete freedom
of speech; (b) there are other, more appropriate lists for such material
and (c) NFB resources fund this list so it is not in NFB?s interest to
provide a forum for messages whose purposes are inimical to those of
NFB. Questions about  NFB policies and procedures are welcome. However,
messages designed to stir up controversy rather than  to elicit
information -- troll messages -- are not welcome. Persisting in posting
messages  in prohibited categories after being warned by the list
moderator may result in temporary or permanent suspension from the list.
Fortunately, we have had no such incidents.

(6) Messages sent to the list from addresses other than the one you used
to subscribe to the list are held by the list software for approval by
me. Therefore, if you want your messages to appear without delay, send
them from the correct address.

(7) Although little of the material such as virus warnings, scam
warnings and/or tips and feel-good posts that is passed around the
Internet is relevant or appropriate for this list, if you *do* believe
that some post you've received is so important that it warrants posting
on the list, please check with <http://www.TruthOrFiction.Com>,
<http://www.snopes.com> or similar sites to ensure that the material
isn't a hoax, or, worse, itself a threat to computer security before
posting.

,Now that all the "heavy stuff" is out of the way, let's enjoy our list
and keep it the vehicle for comradeship, fellowship, discussion and
concerted  action that it is.

Mike Freeman, List Moderator