[nfbwatlk] FW: [Access Fund] Washington Assistive Technology Foundation - Fall 2009 Update!

Nightingale, Noel Noel.Nightingale at ed.gov
Fri Oct 30 15:38:14 UTC 2009

FYI

From: access_fund-bounces at lists.lists.watf.org [mailto:access_fund-bounces at lists.lists.watf.org] On Behalf Of Frances Pennell
Sent: Thursday, October 29, 2009 3:09 PM
To: Access Fund
Subject: [Access Fund] Washington Assistive Technology Foundation - Fall 2009 Update!

Click here if you are having trouble viewing this email.<http://www.watf.org/about_watf/newsletter_09.php>
Washington Assistive Technology Foundation
Access Fund News
Fall 2009
*** indicates the beginning of a new section
________________________________
***
Assistive Technology Individual Development Accounts Making a Difference. . .
[cid:image002.jpg at 01CA58C0.8141D1E0]In February, 2008, WATF launched a new statewide pilot project in collaboration with United Way of King County. The project is already demonstrating promising results. Through the Assistive Technology Individual Development (or Matched Savings) Account program, Washington residents with disabilities can save up to $4,000 and receive an equal amount in match for purchases of assistive technology needed for employment or education or training leading to employment. Participants also are required to take classes in financial literacy and assistive technology. With dedicated funding of $40,000 from the state Department of Commerce, WATF currently has 13 participants with savings goals of $2000 to $4000. Most participants started saving in the Fall of 2008 and several already have made purchases.

Kevin Berg, who owns a computer business (http://www.compupane.com<http://www.compupane.com/>) with his wife Melinda, used his IDA savings and match to make a down payment on a reliable used van replacing an old vehicle that was literally on its last legs. Modifications were funded through the Division of Vocational Rehabilitation and Kevin and Melinda took out a loan to complete the purchase. According to Kevin, the new van affects "every aspect of my life!" Absolutely essential to his business, the van enables Kevin and Melinda to work with clients and network throughout the Puget Sound area. It also allows them to transport their family safely, and to be fully integrated into the community. Kevin says that the IDA program has helped him to change his savings habits and believes that the training WATF provides can be "a great asset for others."

Another participant, Robert Plummer, is a designer and an inventor. He used his IDA savings to purchase a computer and drafting table that will allow him to work as an estimator for a construction company. Robert also is working with the Division of Vocational Rehabilitation to procure other needed items including CAD/estimating software. Robert is excited about pursuing the training he will need to go back to work and the valuable skills he can now offer to employers. "Without the IDA program, it would have taken years to get where I'm going."

WATF thanks United Way for its help in launching this project - one of the first in the nation. With the successes to date, we know that the strategy works. To expand the program, we will need to seek funding from other sources. In the meantime, please do not hesitate to contact us if you are interested in being a future IDA participant. Having a "waiting list" of interested participants is a great way to show both the need and demand for this program.
________________________________
Norcliffe Foundation Grant Leads Effort to Raise $1.2 million
WATF's Assistive Technology Loan Fund was originally financed through a 2004 grant from the U.S. Department of Education and matching funds raised from the community. With careful stewardship and low loan caps, WATF has been able to stretch those dollars to support both operations and lending over the past five years. In order to sustain and expand the program, WATF is seeking to raise another $1.2 million over the next two to three years. The Norcliffe Foundation's generous lead grant of $25,000 will truly jump start this effort. Norcliffe is a private nonprofit family foundation established in 1952 by Paul Pigott for the purpose of improving the quality of life of all people in the community. http://www.<http://www.thenorcliffefoundation.com/>thenorcliffefoundation.com<http://www.thenorcliffefoundation.com/>
***
Small Business Planning Workshops Now Online
WATF is now offering FREE online Small Business Planning classes.  The classes are designed to help entrepreneurs with disabilities write a business plan and/or apply for a small business equipment loan.

WATF piloted the webinar format in the spring and it was very well received. Fifteen people from all over the state participated and made good progress on their business plans. Business ideas included knitting, audio books, and a variety of consulting and therapy services. Participants enjoyed being able to sign on from home or work without having to worry about travel or traffic, and the online format enabled WATF to work with clients throughout the state. Students also enjoyed the interaction with other participants and the structured curriculum with its step by step approach to building a business plan. The classes were captioned, and ASL users participated via video relay.  Our Fall course started in September.

If you are self employed, have a small business, or thinking about starting one, please contact Kathy Gilman to find out more about our business planning services (which also include one on one counseling) and our business loan program.  To register for the next business planning webinar series, call or e-mail Kathy: 206-328-5116, kathy at watf.org<mailto:kathy at watf.org>, TTY: 888-808-8942.
________________________________
***
What's New at WATF?
Staff Transitions
There have been many changes since our last newsletter - way too many months ago! We said good bye to long time Program Director, Andrea Dimond and Program Assistant, Libby Pickthorn - both of whom now have beautiful baby boys. New staff members include Kathy Gilman, Program Director and former WATF Board member with many years of microenterprise development experience; Kevin Meirose, Assistive Technology Program Manager and MPA candidate of the Evans School of Public Affairs, Pam MacRae, Bookkeeper formerly with Cascadia Revolving Fund and Leann Wicklund, Program Assistant, a senior at Seattle Pacific University.

***
CCTVs For Sale
[cid:image003.jpg at 01CA58C0.8141D1E0]WATF is selling two Clarity Video magnifiers originally purchased in 2003 for its CCTV rental program. This portable CCTV features: auto-focus; full color; zoom capability; contrast adjustment; magnification from 4-60X; line markers; flexible positioning; close-up and distance viewing; manual focus option and a tilt feature.  Price: $1000 (OBO) including Magnifier camera with arm, input box, table mount, power adapter, remote, foot pedal, USB cable, AC adapter, CUI plug and carrying case with straps. Table and second extendable arm also available.
________________________________
***
Spotlight on Resources: Washington Council of the Blind Zero Interest Loans
Did you know that the Washington Council of the Blind offers 0% interest Assistive Technology loans for its members? The loans can be used for any type of "AT" needed by the member. Hearing aids, for example, can also be purchased with a WCB loan. WATF administers the loan program under a contract with WCB which has set aside $40,000 of its own funds for use as loan capital. Applicants must be members in good standing for at least six months to qualify. To find out more about WCB membership, contact Marlaina Lieberg at 1guidedog at gmail.com<mailto:1guidedog at gmail.com>, (206) 433.6565; or President Denise Colley at (360) 438-0072, dmc0124 at comcast.net<mailto:dmc0124 at comcast.net>; or your local chapter at http://www.wcbinfo.org/chapters2009.html.
________________________________
***
Thank You
WATF relies upon individual donations and grants to continue its work. A heartfelt thanks to its individual donors and the following organizations for their generous support:

 *   Adobe Foundation
 *   Greater Tacoma Community Foundation
 *   Norcliffe Foundation
 *   Puyallup Tribe
 *   Tulalip Tribe
 *   U.S. Bank Corporation
 *   Washington Assistive Technology Act Program
 *   Washington Employees Combined Fund Drive

________________________________
***
Golden Dog Quilting
[cid:image004.jpg at 01CA58C0.8141D1E0]Judy Bowers began her business, Golden Dog Quilting, almost five years ago. She spends much of her time designing original patterns, creating art quilts and quilting seasonal photography. Judy grew up sewing as a little girl but found working with so many pins such a nuisance, so she turned to crocheting as a hobby. Later in life she was approached by a craft store and asked to crochet for them. Although it was a great experience, it started to take a toll on her hands; so Judy shifted gears and began to teach quilting classes through the craft store; she even went on to teach at a local college. But with all of the teaching she was doing, her voice bore the brunt of her work.

Judy began wondering how people develop the ideas they have for their quilts. And when she had to stop teaching, something was triggered and ideas began to flood her mind...she even found herself dreaming about quilting! As the ideas continued to come, she started taking notes and journaling them. Now, Judy is the type of person who enjoys learning - and through quilting, she is able to constantly learn about something she loves. But the best part about this creative outlet, is that it's accessible to her.

However, the sewing machine Judy first had just couldn't keep up; it wasn't able to perform all of the intricate ideas that came to mind. Through the machine WATF helped Judy purchase, she was able to acquire all the creative room she needed. "It has definitely increased my abilities and now I can be precise with the details that I want to do."

[cid:image005.jpg at 01CA58C0.8141D1E0]"I'm in a lot of pain. Everyone tells me to go home and just rest; but no, I need to quilt!" When Judy gets in the zone, quilting provides a relief from the pain. It not only helps her cope with what she experiences physically but it's brought emotional betterment and greater self-assurance. People really enjoy seeing the products Judy creates and there's nothing like that sense of satisfaction! "I'm so thankful! If I didn't have this machine, I wouldn't have what I need to get through the day."

Currently, Judy is working on expanding her business. To see examples of her creative pieces, visit http://GoldenDogQuilting.blogspot.com<http://goldendogquilting.blogspot.com/>. The best way to contact Judy is via email at: goldendog55 at gmail.com<mailto:goldendog55 at gmail.com>.

Did you know that WATF's business equipment loans can be used to purchase any type of assistive technology or business equipment needed for a small business, self employment or full or part-time work from home plus related services. In the past, this U.S. Department of Education funded program was strictly limited to home based employment but - good news! The rules have eased and we now can consider loans for business equipment at other appropriate locations. For more information and to find out if you qualify, please contact Program Director, Kathy Gilman.
________________________________
***
Shirley Smith Technology Awards
Each year the Department of Services for the Blind (DSB) collaborates with WATF in offering cash awards to graduating high school seniors who need help paying for assistive technologies for post graduation employment or education. This award, given in honor of former DSB Director, Shirley Smith, went to five outstanding High School Seniors:

 *   Jose Diaz and Madeline Rannow, both graduates of Kennewick High School
 *   Monika Cetnarowski of Kamiak High School, Mukilteo
 *   Lily Clifton, Nathan Hale in Seattle
 *   Brianna Leavens of Snohomish High School, Snohomish

________________________________

***
Affordable Financing = Economic Opportunity
Shawna Loy's "success" story perfectly exemplifies the links between affordable financing of assistive technologies and economic opportunity that WATF seeks to promote.   Shawna was paralyzed in a 1998 car accident. In 2004, she was getting divorced and settling into a new job at Ferry County Public Hospital District in rural Northeast Washington. Shawna applied for and was approved for a loan to cover part of the costs of a wheelchair accessible van. Although she lived close to the hospital, Shawna had no reliable way to get there whenever there was a heavy snow (as there often was). With her own vehicle, Shawna hoped to ensure her ability to make it into work on a reliable basis.

In the years since, Shawna has been able to increase her work hours and to secure an important promotion. She paid off her loan early (on her last birthday!) and, with the additional income from her job, qualified for a loan to build a new, wheelchair accessible home with the modifications she needs to live more independently.   Financed through the Department of Agriculture's Rural Development, this was the first stick built home built in the small town of Republic in the last 10 years.

Now an enthusiastic volunteer at WATF, Shawna notes that her new home was possible, in part, because of WATF.

"If I had not been able to get my van, insuring my employment, I would never have been able to make this happen. So, I must say thank you to all of you who helped me reach this goal."
________________________________
***
WATF Numbers
# of Loans                                                       229
Total $ Loaned                                               $845,000
$ Outstanding                                                 $345,411
Avg. Loan Size                                                $3,689
% Below 80% Median Income                    70%
% Below 50% Median Income                    50%
Default Rate                                                    2%
________________________________
***
WATF BOARD
Ron Adams, Retired from Kitsap County CDBG
Jeff Burnett, WSU, School of Architecture
Debbie Cook, WATAP
Abby Cooper, Kennedy Douglas Consulting
Rob Honan, Washington State Independent Living Council
Karen Johnson, Retired Speech Pathologist
Charley Lane, Disability Resource Connection, Everett
Margaret Mortz, Spokane Hearing Loss Association
Karen Pierce, Pierce, Jones & Associates
Tyler Strahan, Community Representative, Disability Resources of SW Washington Board Member

WATF STAFF
Frances Pennell, Executive Director
Kathy Gilman, Program Director
Kevin Meirose, Assistive Technology Program Manager
Leann Wicklund, Program Assistant
Pam MacRae, Bookkeeper
________________________________
***
INDEPENDENCE IS PRICELESS. WE MAKE IT AFFORDABLE.
Our mission is to improve the socioeconomic circumstances of people with disabilities by providing affordable credit and learning opportunities for assistive technology and small business.  The Washington Assistive Technology Foundation (WATF) is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit and Community Development Financial Institution (CDFI).
***
LET'S TALK FORMATS
If you would like the newsletter in Large Print or other alternative format, please call our office at: 206-328-5116.

Apply for loans online
www.watf.org
100 South King Street, Ste. 280 Seattle, WA 98104
Phone: 206.328.5116 Toll Free: 1.800.214.8731 TTY: 1.888.808.8942
Fax: 206.328.5126 E-mail: info at watf.org<mailto:info at watf.org>