[nfbwatlk] Fw: [Nabs-presidents] Grant Opportunities for Youth andDivisions

Mike Freeman k7uij at panix.com
Sun Sep 6 13:28:04 UTC 2009

It depends upon the interpretation of "cross-cultural". I'm afraid some
may misunderstand or misinterpret what I'm going to say next here,
alleging that I am either a total pessimist or prejudiced. Neither is
the case.

First, from a sociological perspective, I imagine that it's quite
amusing to watch the dance of grantors and grantees, the former
perpetually trying to narrow the scope of their outlays to cover *just*
the sort of projects they deem important and the latter trying to
stretch, parlay and fit square pegs in round holes, every which way
trying to get their pet projects to at least sound like the sort of
thing the grantors are looking for. Since the grantors hold the purse
strings, they usually have the uper hand. (big grin)

Second, although I'd love to be proven wrong in the following assertion,
I suspect that, culturally-speaking, this affiliate would not have a lot
of appeal, say, for young Hispanics or African-American or
native-American blind youth for, try as we may and being as admiring of
their cultures (if they have any) as we might endeavor to be, we just
don't quite fit and thus may not have much of an appeal. When these
sorts of things come up, I am reminded of the situation that the First
Unitarian-Universalist church in downtown Portland faced in the 1960's,
1970's and 1980's and, for all I know, still faces today. Many of its
paritioners worried that the good congregation wasn't sufficiently
welcome to black membership (there was *One* black member of whom I was
aware). Yet nothing could have been further from the truth. It was one
of the most welcoming, tolerant, open-minded church groups I've ever
been in, ready and eager to learn and to let the members do their thing
without prejudice or invalid assumptions. Yet if one of the humorous
epithets UU people were heir to bak then was "God's Frozen People",
First Church was emblematic of the monicker in spades! Very much
old-time New England Congregationalist without the Trinity. So it had
zilch appeal to native-Americans, African-Americans and Hispanics; the
Church of the Nazarine next door was far more appealing. Yet First UU
Church ran and, I think, still runs Outside Inn, one of the best drug
rehabilitation projects in Portland.

I suspect that we of NFB of Washington are, like it or not, in much the
same boat. But if someone wishes to take this one on (AKA Grant Guru or
Placer of Square Pegs in Round Holes -- should this be an elective
office?), I am more than willing to support his/her efforts.

Mike Freeman, President
NFB of Washington