[nfbwatlk] FW: Pedestrian Safety Committee Votes on Plan

Jacob Struiksma lawnmower84 at hotmail.com
Sun Sep 13 06:49:24 UTC 2009

-----Original Message-----
From: Nick Licata [mailto:Nick.Licata at Seattle.Gov]
Sent: Saturday, September 12, 2009 3:04 PM
To: lawnmower84 at hotmail.com
Subject: Pedestrian Safety Committee Votes on Plan

I am writing to you today because you have contacted my office about
pedestrian safety issues.  You may recall that in early 2007, the City
Council passed legislation to create and staff a Pedestrian Master Plan
Advisory Group to develop a proposed Pedestrian Master Plan.

The Pedestrian Master Plan Advisory Group included representatives from
neighborhood organizations, health officials, senior citizens, Seattle
Public Schools, pedestrian advocacy groups and members of the disabled
community.

On Tuesday, September 15, 10:30 AM, in City Council Chambers, the City
Council Ad Hoc Pedestrian Safety Committee will be voting on a resolution
that will either adopt or recognize the Seattle Pedestrian Master Plan.  The
plan, completed after 2 years of hard, dedicated work,  identifies these
goals: 1) Complete and maintain the pedestrian system identified in the
Pedestrian Master Plan; 2) Improve walkability on all streets; 3) Increase
pedestrian safety; 4) Plan, design, and build complete streets to move more
people and goods; 5) Create vibrant public spaces that encourage walking;
and 6) Get more people walking for transportation, recreation, and health;

The resolution we will be voting on requires the City to allocate a minimum
of $10 million per year to implement the Seattle Pedestrian Master Plan,
while striving to both increase this to a minimum of $15 million per year
and identify a dedicated funding source for the Plan.

The resolution that we will be voting on and the plan itself (scroll down to
the bottom and link to attachment 1) can be found here:

http://clerk.ci.seattle.wa.us/~scripts/nph-brs.exe?s1=&s3=&s2=&s4=pedestrian
&Sect4=AND&l=20&Sect2=THESON&Sect3=PLURON&Sect5=RESN1&Sect6=HITOFF&d=RES3&p=
1&u=%2F%7Epublic%2Fresn1.htm&r=1&f=G

Much thanks to the citizens of the Pedestrian Master Plan Advisory Group.
We will take public testimony at the beginning of the meeting should you
wish to attend.  If you have questions, contact my office at 684-8803.

Sincerely,

Councilmember Nick Licata