[nfbwatlk] ACB Referrals

Mackenstadt, Gary Gary.Mackenstadt at ed.gov
Tue Aug 24 20:30:58 UTC 2010

Recently, I have been handling the voicemail messages on the NFBW telephone.  The other day we received a message from a woman who said that the ACB had provided with our number.  The woman said that her daughter was blind and would be starting college and would need financial help.  Since Rita is our scholarship committee chairperson, I gave the name and number to her for handling.

Rita telephoned me today saying that the woman lives in Maine, and her daughter would be attending college in Tennessee.  Rita said that the woman told the person with the ACB where she was living and where the daughter would be attending college.  For some reason, the ACB provided the woman with the NFBW telephone number.  Rita provide the woman with all of the information, including the NFB national scholarship program.

Since speaking with Rita, I have spent a couple of seconds (only a couple) analyzing this referral.  First of all, we can be glad that the woman now has the correct information.  Secondly, this may be another example of geography not being taught in our schools.  Or possibly, the state of Washington is a New England State, which means that my geography knowledges sucks.