[nfbwatlk] Three Useful and Fun Websites

Mike Freeman k7uij at panix.com
Sat Jan 9 20:15:42 UTC 2010

Greetings, all.

Check out the websites given below. I think you may find them useful and/or fun.

(1) Check out http://www.skweezer.com which deletes much of the extraneous eye-candy in many websites so that they can be used successfully on mobile devices such as PDAs, smart phones, etc. Not every site works well this way (JP Morgan Chase's doesn't) but many do. Since a lot of the extraneous fluff is "squeezed out", this site also works well with note-takers such as the Braille Sense Plus and Braille Note as well as with PCs running conventional screen-readers. Registration is free although not necessary; registration allows one to save the setting preferences of one's choice.

(2) Try http://www.tuned.mobi which is a site with radio station links suitable for dial-up and mobile phone use which also makes it great for PDAs and note-takers. Not all the links work but most do.

(3) Also try http://www.radiotime.com which also contains links for thousands of radio stations and audio streams. Some of these require a Flash player but links are few and are usually very accessible. some streams require RealPlayer or an equivalent such as Real Alternative from the U.K. But a lot of the extraneous stuff is omitted so you can get right to the music or other audio content. One can also register here (again fre) and this allows one to set up "presets" for one's favorite streams. I have most of the "All News" stations around the country in my presets along with some classical and Mexican music stations. Registering also gives one automatic access to all the local stations in one's area.

This is about the most hassle-free website to play radio stations I've come across (and yes, I have links for Radio Locator, Mike's Radio World and Bill Sparks page).
Enjoy!
Mike