[nfbwatlk] FW: OFS Call to Action: City Council Public Hearings on Deep Bore Tunnel Project

Jacob Struiksma lawnmower84 at hotmail.com
Sun Jul 11 20:01:50 UTC 2010

Hi Everyone,

Things are heating up regarding the tunnel cost overruns debate the the time
to act is now.  I will be reaching out to some of you individually to speak
at tomorrow's City Council meeting on the deep bore tunnel project.  A
couple of OFSers are committed to coming already (one on her birthday and
another on the day he is moving to PDX!).  That's commitment!  I hope the
rest of you will consider taking an hour of your day and surprising the City
Council with a big showing in support of the Mayor's contract language.
Here's the back story:

The Council is expected to vote by the end of July on contracts between the
City and State that will commit us to the deep bore tunnel project.  Once
these contracts pass, the City will lose its leverage with the State to
protect Seattle from cost overruns-unless we act now.

The Mayor has proposed language that has been given to the City Council. His
language makes the contracts good only after the State changes its law that
caps the State contribution at $2.4 billion and puts Seattle property owners
on the hook for cost overruns. The City Council should stand with the Mayor
in supporting this language and protecting Seattle. Signing the contracts
with that stipulation is a reasonable way to look out for Seattle taxpayers,
which is the Council's job.

Please come to the Council Committee at City Hall, Monday afternoon (the
12th) at 2:30 and give public comment.  There will also be Council meetings
the following Monday, the 19th at 2:30 PM and the Monday after that, the
26th at 2:30 PM.

Here are some talking points you can use:

.         Please protect Seattle from Cost Overruns

.         Include the language that approves contracts only when cost
overruns have been dealt with, and Seattle is not held responsible for
paying

.         [Why is this important to you? Social Justice? Climate change?
Protecting Seattle's resources? Fiscal responsibility?]

Links for more info:

http://www.thestranger.com/seattle/what-could-possibly-go-wrong/Content?oid=
4399657

http://www.seattlepi.com/connelly/423057_JOEL09.html