[nfbwatlk] Here It Is ... no Surprise

Fri Jun 25 19:30:18 UTC 2010

Hi Debby and Listers,

While Iowa's "Braille and Sight Saving School" isn't one of those that
impresses Federation folks much, you are right, we can't let down our
guard.  The Washington's state School has done a good job of
implementing learning programs for both on campus and off campus
students, and is an integral part of the community there in Vancouver.
Dr. Stenehjem deserves a lot of credit for his work to keep the school
relevant.  We all were extremely angry when the Oregon State legislature
did what it did.  And, now we are seeing the obvious consequences of
that action.  The Corvallis legislator does not, contrary to the
article's brief description, advocate for blind "disabled" students, but
her child (I think) has another severe disability unrelated to the
learning needs of blind children.

So, what we can and must do is to watch to make sure this trend doesn't
continue.

/s/

Bennett Prows

-----Original Message-----
From: nfbwatlk-bounces at nfbnet.org [mailto:nfbwatlk-bounces at nfbnet.org]
On Behalf Of debby phillips
Sent: Friday, June 25, 2010 1:07 PM
To: NFB of Washington Talk Mailing List
Subject: Re: [nfbwatlk] Here It Is ... no Surprise

This breaks my heart.  No offense, but I can't believe that the
School for the Deaf managed to get part of that money.  Or will
get part of that money.  If I had the money I'd try to bun the
property and use it to improve the lives of blind children and
adults all over the country.  Shame on the Oregon Legislature!
Oregon had, at one time, one of the finest Schools for the Blind
anywhere in the country.  Watch out Iowa, this could happen to
you, too.  And the blind of Washington State should never let
down our guard, it could happen here, too.    Debby