[nfbwatlk] Fw: University of Washington Seattle Research StudyRecruitment

Mike Freeman k7uij at panix.com
Wed Mar 10 03:52:23 UTC 2010

----- Original Message -----
From: "Chandrika Jayant" <cjayant at cs.washington.edu>
To: <blindtlk at nfbnet.org>
Sent: Tuesday, March 09, 2010 6:38 PM
Subject: [Blindtlk] University of Washington Seattle Research
StudyRecruitment

Greetings!

My name is Chandrika Jayant. I am a Ph.D. student in Computer Science and
Engineering at the University of Washington. In collaboration with the
University of Rochester, I am studying ways to improve the accessibility and
usability of mobile device cameras, particularly for people who are blind.
To this end, we are looking for subjects to participate in our study.

This study will ask you to locate some objects on a shelf using a standard
camera phone and our new software. The study will take place between March
20th and March 28th at our lab on the University of Washington campus in
Seattle, although we may also be able to travel to another place of your
convenience.

If you are interested in participating in our study, “VizWiz: Nearly
Real-time Answers to Visual Questions” please contact me directly at: 206
300 2167 or cjayant at cs.washington.edu (Please note that I cannot guarantee
the confidentiality of email.)

We are narrowing our research to people with the following qualities:

•        18 years old or older

•        Blind or low-vision

•        Hearing

We encourage people of all genders, ethnicities, and familiarity levels with
computers to participate. Realize that it is only the technology we are
testing, not you!

You will be paid $30 for your time. The study will take approximately 60-90
minutes.

Feel free to take a look at my website to find out more about my research
program:

www.cs.washington.edu/homes/cjayant/

Sincerely,

Chandrika Jayant, Ph.D. Candidate

Graduate Student, Computer Science and Engineering

University of Washington

Paul Allen Center, Room 494

Seattle, WA 98195-2840