[nfbwatlk] FW: [Dtb-talk] BARD talk quick start nls player guide

Jacob Struiksma lawnmower84 at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 10 20:43:40 UTC 2010

-----Original Message-----
From: dtb-talk-bounces at nfbnet.org [mailto:dtb-talk-bounces at nfbnet.org] On
Behalf Of Lynn Evans
Sent: Wednesday, March 10, 2010 5:24 AM
To: Discussion of Digital Talking Books
Subject: [Dtb-talk] BARD talk quick start nls player guide

Below please find brief instructions for using your NLS digital talking book
player. This is intended to be an all in one guide to get at the inter
workings of your player without looking in more than one place. The so
called steps do not need to be done in any particular order.

Plug your player into an electrical outlet to fully charge the battery.
Wile the battery is charging you can do the following:

The key describer mode:

You will want to learn the various keys and their functions. So try out the
describer mode feature. With no cartridge or flash drive in the player power
on the player by pressing down the round shaped power button. When activated
you should hear, a beep followed by "power on, press any button to learn
about its function." It may be a bit tricky to power off the player in key
describer mode.  You may need to hold down the power button for a few
seconds to get the player to shut down. Alternatively you could insert a
cartridge in the cartridge slot.

User guides:

There is an onboard user guide that can be accessed two ways depending on
the type of player you have.

For standard player:

The standard player has eight key functions. To activate the user guide for
the standard player do the following. With the power on hold down the play
stop key until you hear "standard user guide".  To move out of standard user
guide mode press and hold down the play stop key again.

For advanced player:

The advanced player has thirteen key functions that include a row of five
keys just above the crescent shaped sleep key. These five keys allow the
user to select navigation levels, and place bookmarks in your books. To
activate the user guide for the advanced player do the following. With the
power on hold down the info key until you hear "advanced user guide".  To
move out of advanced user guide mode press and hold down the info key again.

Checking firmware version for bookshelf feature:

With firmware version 2.1.0 NLS has provided a bookshelf feature that allows
the user to place more then one book on a cartridge or flash drive. You will
want to check the firmware version of your player. With the power on and a
cartridge or flash drive in the player rapidly press the sleep key 10 times
or until you hear the serial number followed by the firmware version on your
player. Press any other key to quiet the player. If the version is less than
2.1.0 then you will need to update the player if you want the bookshelf
feature.

Updating the player's firmware:

Instructions for updating the firmware can be found on the FAQ section of
the www.bardtalk.com website. This is question 3 and can be found at the
following link:
http://www.bardtalk.com/faq.php

So with any new device there is a lot to explore so I will leave you to it.
Good reading to you