[nfbwatlk] Help Get Seattleites Walking

Nightingale, Noel Noel.Nightingale at ed.gov
Tue Nov 30 18:55:01 UTC 2010

From: Pedestrian Plan [mailto:PEDMASTERPLAN at TALK2.SEATTLE.GOV] On Behalf Of Nielsen, Peg
Sent: Tuesday, November 30, 2010 7:39 AM
To: PEDMASTERPLAN at TALK2.SEATTLE.GOV
Subject: [PEDMASTERPLAN] Help Get Seattleites Walking

(Note:  photo and graphic are included at end of attached document)

SDOT News Release

For immediate release: November 30, 2010

Contact:  Richard Sheridan, (206) 684-8540

Help Get Seattleites Walking
Seattle Pedestrian Advisory Board seeks new members

SEATTLE-The Seattle Pedestrian Advisory Board is accepting applications for new members to make Seattle a better place to walk. The goal is to help make walking safer and easier, and to increase the trips people make by walking instead of driving in a car. The volunteer board plays an influential role in implementing Seattle's Pedestrian Master Plan, and also advises the Mayor and City Council, participates in planning and project development, and evaluates policies and makes recommendations to all city departments including the Seattle Department of Transportation (SDOT).

Board members serve a two-year term with an opportunity to serve a second term. They are frequent walkers of a variety of ages, levels of mobility, and walks of life, and from areas throughout the city. Members must be Seattle residents, and may not be city employees. The group meets the second Wednesday of each month from 6 to 8 p.m. at City Hall on Fifth Avenue between James and Cherry.

Mayor McGinn and City Council are committed to promoting diversity in the City's boards and commissions. Women, youth, persons with disabilities, sexual minorities, and persons of color are encouraged to apply.  Interested persons should submit a resume and cover letter explaining their interest by email by December 17 to Brian Dougherty at brian.dougherty at seattle.gov<mailto:brian.dougherty at seattle.gov>.

For more information, call Brian Dougherty at (206) 684-5124, or send e-mail to the address above.
The pedestrian board members have articulated their vision: "We want Seattle to become a 'walking city.' People will walk in ever increasing numbers. We will want to walk; we will walk safely and with pleasure; we will walk for whatever reasons and at whatever times we choose. In Seattle, walking will be a way of life..."
###