[nfbwatlk] Snoking Chapter Meeting Last Night

Wed Aug 10 15:56:11 UTC 2011

Listers,

As advertised, the Snoking chapter met last night at Georgio's restaurant in Everett. Julie Warrington stepped in to chair the meeting in the absence of Duane Smith (may he recover soon.)

We had a guest speaker, Washington State Representative Marko Liias, who was introduced by Denise Mackenstadt.  He talked about his state priorities of enhanced laws against bullying in schools, livable wage jobs for all who need or want employment, meaningful sustained public transportation, etc.  We discussed our current drive to get the concept of subminimum wage jobs for disabled persons out of the reauthorization of the Work Force Investment Act, and explored several other topics, including the plight of public transportation in this State.

Turns out, and not so coincidentally, he will be running for the U.S. Congress seat now held by Jay Inslee in 2012. He seemed genuinely interested in our issues, and pledged to learn all he can about them.  He indicated support for our efforts to eliminate the subminimum wage provisions of WIA.

So it was a successful meeting, and shows that we continue to do what we're supposed to be doing in the NFB.  So, let's get out the support for what is only right for all the blind.  Thanks to Julie and Denise for an excellent meeting last night.

//

Bennett Prows