[nfbwatlk] A crucial moment for roadway safety

Jacob Struiksma lawnmower84 at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 17 06:14:14 UTC 2011

Cascade Bicycle Club is working to hold negligent drivers accountable when
they injure or kill pedestrians, bicyclists, and other vulnerable roadway
users. We need your help to meet a critical deadline this month to pass
bills in Olympia. The Vulnerable User Bill (SB 5326 and HB 1339) would
educate drivers to be more careful and allow the courts to bring justice for
victims and their families.

Our legislature is on a tight schedule and the bill is ready for a vote in
both the House and Senate. Last year, the Vulnerable User Bill died on the
Senate calendar. We can't let that happen again. That is why it is crucial
that you email your senator and representatives. Ask them to bring the
Vulnerable User Bill up for a vote and vote "YEA" today.

SB 5236 and HB 1339 create tougher penalties for negligent drivers who maim
or kill bicyclists, pedestrians, equestrians, farm equipment operators, or
other vulnerable roadway users. These penalties help reinforce the need to
be careful when driving around people who do not have the protection of a
car. By emailing your legislators, you can help fill a gap in state law
between a simple traffic ticket and a crime.

For more information, read the updated fact sheet. To see video of
compelling hearing testimony in support of the bill by victims of negligent
drivers and families of victims click here.

Please take a minute of your time to email your state elected officials and
tell them why passage of this bill is so important for the improved safety
of our roadways.

Thank you for your continued support on this legislation.

Sincerely,

David Hiller
Advocacy Director
Cascade Bicycle Club