[nfbwatlk] FW: Accessibleworld Presents Michael Hingson on Books And Beyond, Wednesday, January26, 2011

Nightingale, Noel Noel.Nightingale at ed.gov
Tue Jan 25 18:43:00 UTC 2011

From: News Wire [mailto:listservice at accessibleworld.org]
Sent: Monday, January 24, 2011 7:52 PM
To: Nightingale, Noel
Subject: Accessibleworld Presents Michael Hingson on Books And Beyond, Wednesday, January26, 2011

Accessibleworld Presents Michael Hingson on Books And Beyond, Wednesday, January26, 2011

Newswire:

How do you handle a crisis? Fortunately, many of us will never have to answer that question in the way Michael Hingson did on September 11, 2001. On that day, life, its security and certainty changed forever. As we near the 10th anniversary of this unforgettable and tragic date,  what place should it have in our thinking?  Are there choices you make concerning safety you make now that were unheard of ten years ago? Are you optimistic about the future of the world and your own? Are you fearful? What lessons of hope come from tragedy? Mike Hingson has had time to ponder these and other serious questions. On our next show, we will talk with Mike about his answers to these.
 What is most important in life? What role do choices, teamwork, and ethics play?
 Michael Hingson has been close to tragedy before.  He will tell us about that.  his book, Thunder Dog, a Blind Man, His Guide Dog and the Triumph of Trust at Ground Zero is   available through pre-order from Amazon.Com. Join us    on  our next Books And Beyond and hear what Mike thinks about concerns for living  in all our lives. Below is information about Mike and some thoughts in his own words about what he feels is important in his life today. Information about coming to the show follows.

When the World Trade Center was attacked on 9-11, it was as though the world stood still. It was a day that captured our full attention. Michael Hingson and his Guide Dog Roselle were on the 78th floor of Tower One that day, and were able to make their way to safety and survive the attack. The duo was immediately thrust into the international spotlight, becoming well-known representatives of the strength of the human/animal bond and a living example of the powerful partnership that exists between a blind person and their Guide Dog. In 2002 Michael joined the Guide Dogs for the Blind team as the National Public Affairs director, to share his story  throughout the world on behalf of the school.  In June of 2008 Michael left Guide Dogs to form The Michael Hingson Group to continue his speaking career as well as to serve as a consultant for corporations and organizations that need assistance with Inclusive and Diversity training as well as adaptive technology traini! ng.

In his own words:

I lived through the 9-11 tragedy and have much to say about my experiences leading up to and escaping from the terrorist attacks on the World Trade Center. Since that day, I've traveled the world with Roselle and her successors; at first to help people heal and hope, and now, to help them find meaning and purpose. As a blind person living in today's world I want people to see that while there are many different kinds of people, each with their own different gifts, we all can live and work together if we choose to open our minds and hearts and become a more inclusive world. There are positive lessons to be learned from every tragedy, and 9-11 is certainly no exception.

Because I am blind, I have a unique perspective. Because I believe in the power of partnering with my Guide Dog, I can speak from the heart about teamwork
Prior to becoming the National Public Affairs Representative for Guide Dogs for the Blind, Michael was district sales manager for Quantum Data Protection Division of Irvine, Calif., overseeing a sales force and field operations. He has a master's degree in physics from the University of California at Irvine.  He is a former member of the California State Guide Dog Board, and is a member of the National Federation of the Blind. Michael lives with his wife, Karen, in California.

Bonnie Blose, Group Facilitator

E-Mail: bookmaven1 at frontier.net<mailto:bookmaven1 at frontier.net>

Date:  Wednesday, January 26,  2011

Time:  5:00 PM PST, 6:00 PM MST, 7:00 PM CST, 8:00 PM EST,

           and elsewhere in the world Thursday 01:00 GMT.

Approximately 15 minutes prior to the event start time; go to

The Books and Beyond Room at:

http://conference321.com/masteradmin/room.asp?id=rs3cfe7424e06c
 Or, alternatively,
 Select The Books and Beyond Room at: www.accessibleworld.org<http://www.accessibleworld.org>

Enter your first and last names on the sign-in screen.
If you are a first-time user of the Talking Communities online conferencing software, there is a small, safe software program that you need to download and then run. A link to the software is available on every entry screen to the Accessible World rooms.

All online interactive programs are free of charge, and open to anyone worldwide having an Internet connection, a computer, speakers, and a sound card. Those with microphones can interact audibly with the presenters and others in the virtual audience. To speak to us, hold down the control key and let up to listen. If no microphone is available, you may text chat with the attendees.

Accessible World uses News Wires, like this one, to inform people of the topic and times for the many Discussion Groups on Accessible World. The lists are announce only to keep the traffic to a minimum. You can join the Accessible World Announce List, the Tek Talk Announce List or the Sports Talk Announce List by completing the form at: www.accessibleworld.org/mailinglists<http://www.accessibleworld.org/mailinglists>

Accessible World Contacts:

Robert Acosta, Chair
Accessible World
818-998-0044
Email: boacosta at pacbell.net<mailto:boacosta at pacbell.net>

Web:   www.helpinghands4theblind.org<http://www.helpinghands4theblind.org>

Marcia Moses, Events Coordinator
Accessible World
734-495-1496
Email: mgmoses at comcast.net<mailto:mgmoses at comcast.net>

Steve Hoffman, President
Talking Communities
Email: steve at talkingcommunities.com<mailto:steve at talkingcommunities.com>

The Accessible World, a division of Helping Hands For The Blind, a 501(c)(3) not-for-profit organization, seeks to educate the general public, the disabled community and the professionals who serve them by providing highly relevant information about new products, services, and training opportunities designed specifically to eliminategeographic and access barriers that adversely affect them

--
If you no longer wish to receive any more announcements from the Accessible World announce list service, you may unsubscribe, edit your preferences or forward this email by using one of the links below.

Unsubscribe: