[nfbwatlk] FW: [Nfbnet-master-list] Legislative Alert Subminimum wage

Mike Freeman k7uij at panix.com
Fri Jun 24 04:10:15 UTC 2011

Fellow Federationists:

I realize that you may have seen the legislative alert reproduced below.
However, I wanted to make certain that all of us give proper attention to
it. For those who have grown complacent and who think that we can't lose
ground in our struggle for independence, first-class citizenship and
equality with the sighted in society, the alert below should cause us to
seriously rethink this notion. If the reauthorization of the Workforce
Investment Act passes with Section 511 (described below) intact, we may well
be on our way back to the broom shop or, perhaps worse, be well on our way
to being paid a pittance for competitive jobs that others receive full
remuneration for.

Per the message below, Senator Patty Murray is on the Senate Health,
Education, Labor and Pensions (HELP) Committee. Her DC Office number is
(202) 224-2621. I urge *all* of us to call her office ASAP to urge her to
vote to remove Section 511 of the WIA reauthorization from the bill.

To the barricades.

Michael Freeman, President

National Federation of the Blind of Washington