[nfbwatlk] FW: Futurewise event--you are invited!

Jacob Struiksma lawnmower84 at hotmail.com
Mon May 16 16:31:55 UTC 2011

Transit-Oriented Communities:
a Blueprint for Washington State
Workshop and Reception
Futurewise | GGLO | Transportation Choices Coalition
Thursday, June 9, 2011
2:30 to 6:30 p.m.
Everett Transit Station, First Floor Room
3201 Smith Avenue, Everett
Please RSVP to kristin at futuewise.org

Futurewise and its partners, GGLO, Transportation Choices Coalition & The
City of Everett and Everett Parks Department, invite you to a workshop and
exhibit of our Blueprint for Transit-Oriented Communities program.

Please join us for an informative workshop, reception and visual exhibit at
the Everett Transit Station. The workshop will feature a presentation by
representatives from the non-profit organization, Futurewise, and the
architecture firm, GGLO. We'll explore a vision for compact urban areas and
the protection of our farms, forestlands, and green space in Snohomish
County. Then, enjoy a reception and view the visual exhibit which will be on
display throughout the month of June.

More information about TOC http://futurewise.org/priorities/toc.   The
Blueprint program is anchored by a comprehensive publication "Blueprint for
Transit Oriented Communities". It's an action plan for promoting
neighborhoods that give people greater access to housing, jobs, shopping,
and recreation without relying on a personal vehicle. Created by GGLO,
Futurewise, and the Transportation Choices Coalition the purpose of the
Blueprint is to provide guidance and inspiration for the community at large,
and also to serve as an advocacy manual for new legislation that will
promote exemplary transit oriented communities in cities throughout
Washington State.

The publication presents an image-rich vision of TOC, provides research
linking TOC patterns to numerous social and environmental benefits, and lays
out policy actions from the local to federal level to encourage more TOC
patterns. Alan Grainger, founding principal of GGLO, said, "For this to
happen, visionary planning and design must go hand-in-hand with smart
policies and attention to the unique qualities of each community."

Kristin Kelly
Snohomish County/Skagit County Program Director, Futurewise
Smart Growth Director, Pilchuck Audubon Society
----------------------
email: kristin at futurewise.org
web:    www.futurewise.org
--------------------------
1429 Avenue D, PMB 532
Snohomish, WA  98290
p 425-923-8625
Celebrating 20 years of protecting Washington's future.
Our mission at Futurewise is to promote healthy communities
and cities while protecting farmland, forests, and shorelines
for this and future generations.

------ End of Forwarded Message

  _____

.