[nfbwatlk] Activists want world to stop using the 'R' word; Campaign deems term offensive and derogatory

debby phillips semisweetdebby at gmail.com
Fri May 27 04:25:47 UTC 2011

This reminds me of something that happened when I was about
twelve.  My youngest brother (who was six at the time) came
bursting in to the house and said to my mom, "Can I go beat up
(we'll say Tommy).  My mom asked him why he would want to do
something like that.  He said, "Because he said I have a stupid
blind sister".  I don't know that my mom answered him one way or
the other.  My mom watched out the window as the small figure of
my brother rode his bike down to the end of the street.  He
carefully got off his bike, propped it up on its kickstand,
walked over and pummeled "TOMMY".  My mom said she didn't know
whether to laugh or cry.  To this day I'VE wondered if my
brother's indignation on my behalf was because the other boy said
I was stupid or blind.  Of course, in many people's minds the two
go together.  After all, if we can't see the world around us, how
can we know anything?  (Of course when my brothers and I got in
to fights as kids we often accused each other of not knowing
anything).  (Grin).    Debby