[nfbwatlk] FW: update on high capacity rail planning in Seattle

Jacob Struiksma lawnmower84 at hotmail.com
Fri Sep 30 00:50:40 UTC 2011

Hello,

Here's a short update on high capacity transit planning in Seattle:

The Transit  <http://www.seattle.gov/transportation/transitmasterplan.htm>
Master Plan will be finalized in the coming months. Rail
<http://mayormcginn.seattle.gov/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/Corridor_11.pdf>
from Ballard to Fremont to Downtown has been identified as the corridor with
the highest potential ridership in the whole city (up to 26,000 daily
riders). Rail
<http://mayormcginn.seattle.gov/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/Corridor_8.pdf>
from Downtown to Eastlake to the U-District scores high, with an estimated
25,000 daily riders. Also included: Madison
<http://mayormcginn.seattle.gov/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/Corridor_6.pdf>
from Capitol Hill to Downtown, Queen
<http://mayormcginn.seattle.gov/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/Corridor_CC1.pdf>
Anne to Downtown, and Westlake
<http://mayormcginn.seattle.gov/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/Corridor_CC2.pdf>
to Pioneer Square.

In order to expand our high capacity transit system though, we first have to
do the detailed planning work necessary for a shovel-ready project. Mayor
McGinn has included $1.5 million in his proposed budget
<http://www.seattle.gov/financedepartment/>  for high capacity transit
planning. The money to be used for this is coming from the sale of city
property (the Rubble Yard).

For more background information, read
<http://mayormcginn.seattle.gov/planning-for-seattles-transit-future/?utm_so
urce=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=planning-for-seattles-transit-future>
Mayor McGinn's blog post on this topic.

If you want to help these projects become a reality:

1) Please attend the Tuesday, October 4th City Council budget hearing at
City Hall and sign up to tell Council you support the $1.5 million for high
capacity transit planning. Sign-in begins at 5pm, hearing begins at 5:30 pm.

2) Please email the City Council (addresses below) that you support the
inclusion of $1.5 million for high capacity transit planning and that they
should keep it in the budget.

3) If you have other lists or contacts or friends that support high capacity
transit, please forward this information.

Emails for Councilmembers:

richard.conlin at seattle.gov; sally.bagshaw at seattle.gov;
tim.burgess at seattle.gov; sally.clark at seattle.gov; jean.godden at seattle.gov;
bruce.harrell at seattle.gov; nick.licata at seattle.gov; mike.obrien at seattle.gov;