[nfbwatlk] FW: ILRU Survey: Assistive Technology forPeople With Disabilities

Mike Freeman k7uij at panix.com
Sat Aug 4 05:34:47 UTC 2012

Have you tried copying the material including the link to the word processor
and then edited it so that it was all on one humongously long line, then
triggered your browser to open a page, then copied in that humongously long
line and *then* hit ENTER? I haven't tried this with a note-taker but that's
what one does with a computer.

Now I'm going to say something that will probably irritate both you and
Debby: your note-takers -- and yes, my BrailleSensePLUS also -- are just
expensive (because of the Braille displays) PDAs insofar as the world of web
pages is concerned. AS such, you cannot expect every page to be accessible
using said note-takers. Nor can you expect note-takers to all-of-a-sudden
become sophisticated computers. That may seem unjust considering the cost of
note-takers but them's the breaks. You opted to put your money into
refreshable braille displays rather than into computer power.

I know one of our resolutions from 2011 advocated that note-takers become
more sophisticated. I argued against it in the Resolutions Committee and
lost that vote and also that of the NFB convention. So I'd support more
sophisticated note-takers. But reality tells me that it ain't a-gonna
happen.

In other words, in demanding accessibility, we don't have the luxury of
interpreting this as the minimum common donominator. Were this the case,
we'd demand abolishing all graphics, fancy frames, tables and the like. But
just how likely do you think it would be for such demands to be listened to,
let alone met?

BTW, those long links are often generated by machine with long hex numbers
to ensure uniqueness of the link addresses and you're not going to get rid
of them.

And lest you think that we suffer alone, be aware there's no Flash player
for the iPhone. So separate sites designed for access by mobile devices are
often constructed with reduced functionality.

Just one person's rant.

Mike Freeman