[nfbwatlk] SUB MINIMUM WAGE

Philip Blackmer pblackmer27 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 13 05:58:06 UTC 2012

I agree that people should be paid what they actually earn, and I don't
necessarily have a problem with paying anyone less than the federal minimum
wage if they cannot work well enough to justify it.  It does however look
like many people are simply told what work to do regardless of ability and
are not even paid as much as a non-disabled person would if they were doing
the same work.  I have a friend who earns a little money from me by doing
odd tasks and I don't pay her minimum wage.  I do however try to give her
work that best suits her abilities.  If I weren't paying her under-the-table
I may pay her more if her performance justified it.  If we could be certain
that the pay was really based on productivity, and if people were encouraged
to develop their skills then the current system may not be such a problem.