[nfbwatlk] FW: Goodwill in Canada has no Subminimum Wages for Workers with Disabilities.

Mike Freeman k7uij at panix.com
Thu Aug 16 02:47:55 UTC 2012

-----Original Message-----
From: nfbaffiliatepresidents-bounces at nfbnet.org
[mailto:nfbaffiliatepresidents-bounces at nfbnet.org] On Behalf Of Lewis, Anil
Sent: Wednesday, August 15, 2012 1:01 PM
To: Affiliate Presidents (nfbaffiliatepresidents at nfbnet.org); NFB Chapter
Presidents discussion list (chapter-presidents at nfbnet.org)
Subject: [NFBAffiliatePresidents] Goodwill in Canada has no Subminimum Wages
for Workers with Disabilities.

In stark contrast to Goodwill's practice of paying subminimum wages to
workers with disabilities in America, Goodwill in Canada pays their workers
with disabilities the same minimum wage guaranteed nondisabled workers.
Thanks to our friends for forwarding us a copy of the letter.  Read the
attached letter which is also pasted below.

[Title: Goodwill Logo - Description: Goodwill Logo] Goodwill
350 Progress Avenue, Scarborough, M1P 2Z4

August 13th, 2012

Goodwill Wages for People with Disabilities

Goodwill consists of a network of 165 local, autonomous, community-based
organizations in the United States and Canada employing a total of 105,000
team members, 30,000 of whom have a disability. In Canada, Goodwill employs
over 1650 individuals.

In some jurisdictions in the United States, a percentage of employees' work
under the Special Minimum Wage Certificate, allowing local Goodwills to pay
employees with a disability less than the minimum wage.

No such program or provisions exist in Canada. No staff at Goodwill Toronto,
Eastern, Central and Northern Ontario earn less than the minimum wage, with
or without a disability. In fact many employees earn more; employees also
receive health benefits and +have access to a pension plan. Goodwill is
committed to creating meaningful work opportunities and providing a living
wage for those facing barriers to employment.

Goodwill Toronto, Eastern, Central and Northern Ontario succeeds when our
staff succeeds. The contributions made by all members of our team are
essential to our ongoing success. We see no distinction in the contributions
made to Goodwill by employees with or without a disability and remain proud
of the work our staff perform every day to create jobs and green our
communities.

Regards,

[Title: Signature - Description: Signature] Keiko Nakamura Chief Executive
Officer

Goodwill Industries Toronto, Eastern, Central and Northern Ontario

For Further information please contact:
Brian Kellow
Manager Marketing and Public Relations
Goodwill
Greater Toronto, Eastern , Central and Northern Ontario
350 Progress Ave.
Scarborough, ON M1P 2Z4
416-815 4785

Mr. Anil Lewis, M.P.A.
Director of Strategic Communications

"Eliminating Subminimum Wages for People with Disabilities"
http://www.nfb.org/fairwages

NATIONAL FEDERATION OF THE BLIND
200 East Wells Street at Jernigan Place
Baltimore, Maryland   21230