[nfbwatlk] FW: [Nfb-or] Fw: [RoseCity] Informational Protest At Goodwill Industries In Portland

Thu Aug 16 20:33:44 UTC 2012

-----Original Message-----
From: nfb-or-bounces at nfbnet.org [mailto:nfb-or-bounces at nfbnet.org] On Behalf Of Jerry Hathaway
Sent: Thursday, August 16, 2012 1:21 PM
To: NFBO Student Listserve; nfb-or listserve
Subject: [Nfb-or] Fw: [RoseCity] Informational Protest At Goodwill Industries In Portland

----- Original Message -----
From: Kirk Wagner
To: Rose City chapter
Sent: Wednesday, August 15, 2012 7:45 PM

Where:                 Goodwill Super Store
                             1943 SE Sixth Avenue, Portland
Date:                    August 25, 2012
Time:                    11:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m. Local Time

This is an informational protest.  Our purpose is to promote public awareness of the unfair, discriminatory, and immoral practice of paying subminimum wages to workers with disabilities.  Goodwill is a household name, but most households do not realize that Goodwill is one of the many employers that pay less than the federal minimum wage to their workers with disabilities.  In order to effect a change in this policy, we are urging people not to shop at thrift stores affiliated with Goodwill Industries International and/or donate goods to Goodwill until they adopt a policy to pay at least the federal minimum wage to all of their workers with disabilities.  Signs will be used to attract attention and informational flyers will be distributed to the general public.

We'll talk more about this at Saturday;s meeting.