[nfbwatlk] FW: NFB stand on Blind Child Area signs?

Mary Ellen gabias at telus.net
Wed Aug 29 05:07:54 UTC 2012

Interesting question, Debbie.  I think it depends on the person and the
circumstances.  If the circumstances call for evacuation and there isn't any
public transportation available, then there should be a number for anyone
who doesn't have private transportation to phone.  This doesn't have
anything directly to do with disability, it has to do with lack of a vehicle
or a driver.  Nine years ago when we had a fire storm here that destroyed
244 homes, the local taxi company was offering free rides to anyone needing
to evacuate.  There was no big deal made about disability; you just phoned a
cab if you were being evacuated and they came and got you.

I do strongly believe that television stations should provide an audio
version of those warnings and banners that crawl across the bottom of the
screen in weather or other emergencies.  I gather the new telecommunications
act requires them to do so.  That's something NFB has been advocating for
years.

As far as being listed on some emergency office as a person with a
disability, personally I'd say "no, thank you."  As long as it were
voluntary, I wouldn't object to others choosing to be listed.  I'd be
furious, though, if I got on such a list because someone noticed me and
thought I should be listed.  The problem with such lists is that they start
out voluntary and end up anything but.  Just try getting on a plane without
somebody noting that you're blind in your flight record.  Even when you ask
them not to mention it, they do so anyway!