[nfbwatlk] FW: [Nfbnet-members-list] Fiscal Cliff Alert

Mike Freeman k7uij at panix.com
Tue Dec 18 04:58:52 UTC 2012

From: Nfbnet-members-list [mailto:nfbnet-members-list-bounces at nfbnet.org] On
Behalf Of David Andrews
Sent: Monday, December 17, 2012 5:40 PM
To: nfbnet-members-list at nfbnet.org
Subject: [Nfbnet-members-list] Fiscal Cliff Alert

Dear Federationists,

There has been a lot of discussion about the upcoming fiscal cliff, a term
describing tax increases and spending cuts set to go into effect on January
1, 2013.  Both Republicans and Democrats are expressing grave concerns about
the effects going over that cliff will have on our economy and have spent
the last few weeks trying to reach a debt reduction agreement.  As they work
on coming to a compromise regarding spending cuts, it is important for the
blind to understand the gravity of the proposed cuts and the consequences
those cuts will have on programs fundamental to disabled Americans.

If we go over the fiscal cliff, approximately $200 billion in federal
spending cuts will go into effect.  Included in these cuts are substantial
reductions to education, vocational rehabilitation, and other disability
service programs.  The effects these cuts will have on disabled Americans
will be dramatic.  These programs provide special education, job training
assistance, and support services to a population with an unemployment rate
over 70 percent.  Blind people want to be independent, productive members of
society and these programs are most critical when the financial stability of
the country is dependent on Americans getting back to work.  Underfunding
education and vocational rehabilitation will have the unintended consequence
of forcing more and more disabled Americans onto the rolls of Social
Security Disability Insurance and Supplemental Security Income, prohibiting
them from reaching their full potential and putting the burden of their
security on taxpayers.

Politicians have warned some budget cuts are expected and necessary, and
that entitlement programs are the center of the debate.  One side of this
debate is pushing for a complete overhaul or elimination of these programs
and the other side is refusing to touch the programs at all.  The NFB needs
to be the voice of reason in the debate and advocate for a thorough,
comprehensive reform that will allow these programs to better produce the
desired outcome of blind Americans living in the community and paying taxes,
rather than receiving long-term assistance. This reform might require cuts,
but we are confident that widespread, default cuts without any targeted
solutions will weaken the already-struggling programs and further underserve
a disadvantaged population.

Members of Congress must compromise fast and reach a debt reduction
agreement so we do not go over the fiscal cliff and face these impending
cuts.  Tell them how important education and vocational rehabilitation are
to your independence and financial security.  Democrats and Republicans will
understand how essential it is that blind people reach their full employment
potential and may be open to a dialogue about more comprehensive reform
solutions if we urge them.  Federationists should ensure the voice of the
nation's blind is heard during this critical time.  To find your
representative's contact information, go to www.house.gov , www.senate.gov
<http://www.senate.gov/> , or call the Capitol Switchboard at (202)
225.3121.  For more information, contact Lauren McLarney at the National
Federation of the Blind, (410) 659.9314 ext. 2207.