[nfbwatlk] Braille Rally in Spokane This weekend

Tue Jun 5 14:43:39 UTC 2012

Hi Listers,

This event is exciting to me.  We're going to highlight the use of Braille, get to talk about Braille literacy, and have some fun.  Of course we're trying to raise money for the Inland Northwest Lighthouse too. As a board member of the Seattle Lighthouse for the Blind now, I'm happy to participate as one of the Braille navigators.  Wish me luck, ..., and feel free to donate too. I can always use sponsors.   (grin.)

/s/

Bennett Prows

Save the Date for Saturday, June 9, 2012 for the 2012 Spokane Braille Rally to benefit Inland Northwest Lighthouse (INL).

The Rally will kick-off at 9:00 am at INL at 6405 N. Addison Street in Spokane with a "Call to Position" by Spokane Mayor David Condon.

At 11:00am, the Hands-On Car Show for the Blind will begin.

And starting at noon, we'll have lunch and hold the Rally Award Ceremony.

What's a Braille Rally? It's a contest in which cars leave a starting point at a recorded time, and travel a designated route to a finish point.  Each rally team consists of a sighted driver and a "navigator" who is blind or visually impaired.  The navigator reads the route directions and clues which are written in Braille.  The event tests the Braille literacy of the navigator, since the driver can only follow the directions provided by the navigator.

The route begins and ends at INL, with designated checkpoints along the way.  Points are awarded based on the time it takes the team to get to each checkpoint.  The team that completes the course with the most points wins!