[nfbwatlk] Introduction and The Blind Cafe

Cynthia Bennett clb5590 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 12 00:30:56 UTC 2012

I am posting to introduce myself and to reflect on a recent activity I
took part in with the Seattle chapter.

I recently moved to Seattle and am currently looking for human
services related work. I have a degree in psychology and am interested
in getting some work experience before deciding what graduate degree
to pursue.

I have been involved in the NFB for several years. I started a student
division in North Carolina, where I am from, and I have been very
active in coordinating NC’s Washington Seminar appointments for the
last few years. It is my favorite NFB event. I am the secretary of the
National Association of Blind Students as well, and I recently
completed training at BLIND, Inc. in Minnesota.

So, if any of you work in the psychology or human services field, I
would love to connect with you off list whether you are a professional
or a job seeker like myself. Also, if you have any questions about
NABS, or state student divisions, please ask. I am excited that a NABS
board member is again stationed in the northwest, and I would love to
assist in materializing any interest in revamping a student committee
or division. I am also happy to talk to anyone who has questions about
blindness training, whether they are debating getting training,
choosing a center, or about the back-and-forth documentation of
getting approval from the state such as the justification letter. I
endured quite a battle with North Carolina to receive my training. I
am not sure how Washington is, but I have a lot of example documents
and advice regarding navigating the system if it is difficult here as
well. I can also speak on behalf of an NFB training center if the
occasion arises.

Finally, I joined the Seattle chapter, and last weekend, some other
members and myself were servers in The Blind Café. I have heard of
“dinner in the dark” events that have not been founded on a positive
blindness philosophy, but this event was very different. The director
was very concerned that we represented ourselves, and that we took
charge of blindness discussions. I personally met several people and
the response was overwhelmingly positive. The Blind Café wants to
incorporate more blind people as it grows such as performers and
chefs. Overall, I had a positive experience and will be happy to
assist if The Blind Café comes back to Seattle.

--
Cynthia Bennett
B.A. Psychology, UNC Wilmington

clb5590 at gmail.com