[nfbwatlk] FW: [List] UK article about blind youth & internet

debby phillips semisweetdebby at gmail.com
Sun Oct 7 09:15:07 UTC 2012

I found this article disturbing on several levels, but I also am
left with questions.  First of all, how old is Lee?  Why is he
not allowed out?  (I can't blame him for not wanting to go with
his sister).  I never wanted to go anywhere with my brothers
either).  I don't know what technology is available there-do they
use JAWS, or other products that we do, or does the UK have their
own versions of stuff?  I felt like I had stepped back about
fifty years.

I do wonder about blind folks here-has research been done (of
course it has somewhere I'm sure) about blind people living in
poverty in the U.S.?  What is the percentage of blind folks here
that have some kind of computer access?  What about smartphones?
Is the 70% unemployment among the blind still an accurate figure?
Is it higher?  Lower?  Just some questions I pondered as I read
this article.

I'd love a Star Trek kind of computer.  You know, Jean-Luc says,
"Computer, Earle Grey, hot".  For me it would be either "Coffee,
hot, black, medium roast, or Mocha, double shot, no whipped
cream."   Lol.