[nfbwatlk] What is Faith Talk

debby phillips semisweetdebby at gmail.com
Thu Sep 6 17:00:07 UTC 2012

Hi Mike, on principle, I agree with you.  There is an emotional
thing that happens though when a church, synagogue, temple, oh
what have you, discriminates.  Here's my thinking.  Rightly or
wrongly when discrimination happens in a worship setting it feels
like rejection from God.  Now theologically I know that's crap.
But that's what it feels like.  I know it's not rational.  In the
second place, when religious leaders are part of that
discrimination it feels like more of a betrayal.  The very
churches, synagogues, what have you that say they accept us and
love us, etc.  on some level, don't.  The "gray" area here is
that there seems to be little regal recourse.  If, for instance,
a community of nuns decides that they will not accept
"handicapped women" to my knowledge there is nothing legal that
can be done about this.

This spring and summer when I was not invited back for a second
interview, and when my email inquiries were ignored, it totally
devastated me in a way that not getting another interview for
other jobs did not.

When friends of mine have been told not to bring their guide dogs
to church services they have had little recourse.  Their choice
is either to leave that denomination, group or what have you, or
not be guided by their dogs.  If we could have workable
strategies to work these things out, that would be a reason for
such a division to exist.  But many groups start out with good
intentions and deteriorate.  The same thing happens with email
lists.  [Present list excluded).  It's really unfortunate.

Well, enough of my ramblings here.    Peace,    Debby