[nfbwatlk] FW: FW: Nickelodeon TV program about blind kids tomorrow

Mike Freeman k7uij at panix.com
Sun Jan 27 17:19:08 UTC 2013

From: Chapter-presidents [mailto:chapter-presidents-bounces at nfbnet.org] On
Behalf Of Scott C. LaBarre
Sent: Sunday, January 27, 2013 9:01 AM
To: State Affiliate Leadership List; NFB Chapter Presidents discussion list;
nabs-l at nfbnet.org
Cc: NFB of Colorado Discussion List
Subject: [Chapter-presidents] FW: Nickelodeon TV program about blind kids
tomorrow

Fyi

From: CO Parents of Blind Children [mailto:copobc at gmail.com]
Sent: Sunday, January 27, 2013 8:44 AM
To: Colorado Parents of Blind Children
Subject: Nickelodeon TV program about blind kids tomorrow

Blind Kids Share Their Stories in Nick News with Linda Ellerbee "Out of
Sight: How Blind Kids See the World"

Airing Monday, Jan. 28, at 8PM (ET/PT) on Nickelodeon

NEW YORK, Jan. 23, 2013 - Kids describe what it's like to live without sight
in the brand-new Nick News with Linda Ellerbee special, "Out of Sight: How
Blind Kids See the World," premiering Monday, Jan. 28, at 8 p.m. ET/PT on
Nickelodeon. They discuss the challenges and opportunities
<http://www.afb.org/community.aspx?AnnouncementID=1371>  they face living in
blindness.

"There are actually people who will stay away from us or won't talk to us,"
says 15-year-old Alyssa of Colorado Springs, Colo. "I had a friend - we were
really good friends - and after I went blind, he stopped coming around."

"Some people see my blindness as an easy target for bullying, for ridicule.
You know, taking advantage of my blindness," says 14-year-old Chris of
Baltimore, Md.

The special discusses how many blind kids know more about what they can do
than what they cannot and how they use technologies to help them navigate a
"sighted" world.

"Some people choose their clothes by using their vision," says 15-year-old
Santiago of Hollister, Calif. "I use an application
<http://www.afb.org/community.aspx?AnnouncementID=1371>  on my phone that
tells me the color of my clothes."

10-year-old Xin Ju says she sees being blind as an advantage. "I don't need
to see something to believe in it. We use our hearts and our imaginations."

"We've listened to what these kids tell us," says Ellerbee. "What they want
sighted kids to know about them which is, in most cases, that they are just
regular kids. But me, I think they're pretty special."