[nfbwatlk] [DISABILITY] IMPORTANT: Fwd: Recruiting Consultants with Disability and Cultural Expertise

Mary ellen gabias at telus.net
Mon Jul 29 05:25:19 UTC 2013

Debbie, I can identify with your experience.  It's hard to respond to a
situation with incomplete information.

At convention I attended a workshop on self-defense.  Though I don't spend a
lot of time worrying about it, I've had experiences that have heightened my
awareness of the potential for random violence.  I've been physically
attacked twice -- once an attempted purse snatching and the other time an
attempted rape.  I'm relieved and happy to say that both were "attempted."
My blindness figured in both assaults.  It contributed to the decision of
the individuals to attack me.  How do I know this?  In the case of the purse
snatching, two young men were walking behind me on the sidewalk.  Suddenly
they stepped off the sidewalk, passing me on the left, and walked up the
sidewalk leading to my apartment building.  I heard them do it.  They
assumed that I would be unaware of their movements; they wouldn't have made
that assumption if I'd been sighted.  In the case of the attempted rape, I
know blindness was involved in his thinking because he told the police and
social workers that it was after they'd arrested him.

In both cases, the attackers had a very low expectation of my ability to
deal with their attacks.  Therefore, they were completely undone when I
fought back.  In the first case, I yelled at the top of my lungs and swung
my cane.  I drew the attention of the driver of a passing car who honked and
made the young men decide that escape was their wisest course of action.  In
the case of the would-be rapist, I was stronger than him and completely
furious.  (He was a scrawny 14-year-old boy.)  He, too, decided that his
best course of action was to get out of the way of the angry lady shoving
him away and advancing on him as he retreated.

The people who ran the workshop affirmed my belief that, though
misconceptions about blindness may make criminals somewhat more likely to
think of us as prey, those same low expectations will likely mean that any
resistance we offer will be more effective.  I was impressed with the
practical nature of their suggestions, though learning their techniques
would take a fair degree of training and practice.  They said the best thing
to do if grabbed is to touch the attacker, face him or her directly, and
proceed from there.  Keeping physical contact provides information about the
person's location and, if you've learned the techniques, allows you to
immobilize and/or hurt the attacker.  If the attacker thinks you're an easy
victim, merely confronting him/her verbally can often be enough to defuse
the situation.  Of course, the main line of defense is avoidance, which
isn't always possible.

In the two situations I faced, I got angry first, acted without thinking,
and later quaked in fear.  I'm not sure fighting for my purse made sense;
fighting to prevent physical injury did make sense.  At the time it didn't
matter; they just made me mad!  The purse snatching episode happened in
Baltimore.  Once he knew I was safe, Dr. Jernigan was mightily amused at the
language I yelled at the attackers.  I don't know for certain whether the
parents of the would-be purse snatchers were unmarried at the time of their
births, but I made the allegation at the top of my lungs.