[nfbwatlk] {Disarmed} FW: Why a blind man, his dog, and 35 passengers left an airplane

debby phillips semisweetdebby at gmail.com
Fri Nov 29 06:56:45 UTC 2013

I have had six dogs, and know that it is difficult for dogs to
fly, and to deal with long delays.  I have had my dogs stand up
and put their heads in my lap, trying to let me know how they
felt.  A few pats, some soft talk and a command to lie back down
seemed to make them feel better, and nobody objected.  I
certainly could understand if the dog was walking around lose,
but as I understand it that was not the situation either.  And I
think we need to look at U.S.  Air's track record.  Did they not
recently get fined by DOJ for something that happened regarding
people in wheelchairs? I'm not saying that Mr.  Rizzi may not
have handled the situation correctly-I don't know, I wasn't
there.  I also know that it is not always easy to get a dog under
a plane seat, depending on the size of the dog.  I do know that
sometimes situations escalate quickly and get out of control.
Anything blind people do whether it's good or bad seems to get a
lot of attention.  If one of us does something the public think
is wonderful we are amazing, heroes of the day.  If a blind
person does something reprehensible then owe all are tarred with
the same brush.  I will be so happy if the day comes when we are
treated as individual blind people with differing skills,
personalities, etc.  just like sighted folk have different skill
levels, personalities, or whatever.  I have been lauded as
amazing because I walked down the street with a dog or cane.  I
have been ridiculed because I didn't "cut the mustard" because I
wasn't as good as some other blind person at whatever.  We aren't
all cookie cutter blind people and I wish the public would
consider that.    Debby