[nfbwatlk] Anybody know about Facebook and photo albums?

Cindy Bennett clb5590 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 13 20:45:06 UTC 2013

Hi Jim,

Hopefully, I can provide some insight.

Facebook has changed over the years, and what used to be a pretty
accessible process of uploading 5 photos at a time and entering the
captions for said photos in an edit box corresponding to each browse
button has become a lot less accessible. The good old days.

Anyway, that is my argument for using the mobile site instead.

I used to also upload tons of photos from my iPhone. I think there is
a way to designate these photos other than iOS photos, but I never did
this. Again, back in the good old iOS days, you could custom label
your photos. But iOS 6 brought the rise of changing time stamps on
photos. So not only could they not be custom labeled, but their labels
would change from something like 5 minutes ago, to 1 hour ago to
finally the date a few days later. So it became very hard to keep
track of these photos. The only way I can do it is to remember that
the most recent photo is the one I want to post, or the third most
recent, or something like that. Then, Facebook updated so that the
most recent photo shows at the top of the list whereas the most recent
photo in my camera role shows up last. I think this can be switched in
iPhone settings. There are 2 ways to add photos to Facebook from your
iPhone. You can either add them from the Facebook app itself or
through your pictures app. To add photos from Facebook, double tap the
“photo” button in the Facebook app. You will then be taken to
thumbnails of your camera role. I think that you can somehow change
albums since now you can designate albums in your camera role, but I
have never done this. Once you find the thumbnail you wish to add,
double tap on it. VO will give you no indication that you have
selected this photo, so if you are unsure, you should cancel the post
and begin again. The UI on this screen is really crappy, and you will
have a difficult time swiping. In my experience, you want to add a
photo that is pretty close to the top of the thumbnails, in other
words, more recent. You will not have a ton of trouble swiping through
the photos, but more immense difficulty finding the button to attach
the photo to a post. This button is in the bottom right corner, and I
have to find it by putting my finger near that place on the screen
until I happen to find it. At that point, I double tap the button and
the screen will change to a view where I can search a location, write
a caption to go with the photo and tag other people in the photo. The
location finder contains a search box and some suggestions of
locations near you. It works pretty well in that if you conduct a
search, relevant results will show and double tapping the desired
location will bring you back to the screen where you can enter a
caption. This is also pretty simple, just a text box. If you want to
tag people, double tap the “choose friends” button. You will be
brought to a screen with suggested people. If your people are not on
this list, you can then use the table index to find the beginning
letter of their last name. This table takes some playing with as
sometimes it is hard to focus and sometimes you inadvertently end up
back at the top in the list of suggested people. If you want to tag
someone, double tap their name. Again, VO will give you no indication
that you have chosen this person; you just have to trust that this
happened. You can either press the “done” button or continue finding
people to tag. When you are finished editing your post, it will say
something like this if you read over the edit box.

“Picture caption at location if specified with these people if specified.”

Pressing the “post” button will post your picture to Facebook. The
photo can be accessed by visiting your Timeline and in your “mobile
uploads” album under the photos tab on Facebook Mobile. I am not sure
how to find specific albums using your Facebook app; but you can find
them on the mobile website.

As you can see, this is a tedious process that typically requires more
problem solving when a new Facebook update comes out, so I only have
the patience to add a few photos at a time.

The other way to add photos using your iPhone is through the photos
app. You can press the “action” button which makes every photo
selectable. This means that double tapping a thumbnail will select it
rather than open the photo to fill the screen. There are a series of
buttons at the bottom of the screen such as delete and share. Pressing
the share button will bring up an alert message with a variety of
sharing mechanisms that you can choose. Facebook is one of these.
Before I continue, you must connect your Facebook account with your
phone in the Facebook menu in Settings before being able to upload
your photos via the Photos app. That being said, after I went through
the trouble to do this when uploading them via Facebook became less
accessible, I learned that with iOS 7, this process was very laggy,
and I was never able to succeed. But with those beginning
instructions, perhaps someone else can play around with it for a while
and figure out a better solution.

Where I think the selecting and sharing photos can come in handy is
this. I would email the photos to yourself and save them as what they
are, or in some system that will allow you to remember which is which
when you upload them to the Facebook Mobile website from your
computer. If you email multiple photos at a time, I am not sure how
they show up in the attachments, in other words, whether the photos
are attached in a particular order such as most recent to least
recent, or if the attachment process has to do with file size or
whatnot. So experimenting with that will let you know if as a blind
person, attaching multiple photos to one email is doable. If you can
do this efficiently, I have been able to send emails with 6 or 7
photos in them. Using the Gmail app will be great for this as I am not
sure if you can email multiple photos from the photos app at once,
something more to try. If you use the Gmail app, the interface is
similar to the basic html version that you would use as a blind person
with JAWS on a computer. So you can attach one photo after another.
But again, I am not sure if these photos will show up attached in the
same order as you attach them. Sorry, that explanation was kind of all
over the place.

I usually save photos on my computer with titles containing the
picture caption so they are easily referenced later.

If you click the photos tab on your profile on Facebook Mobile, there
is an “add photos” button at the bottom of the screen. There is a
browse box and a caption box and then a link that will probably say
“mobile uploads.” You can then choose to add the photo to any existing
album that you have. So one workaround for this would be to try to
create an album on the regular Facebook site and then add the photos
to it on the Mobile site.

The Facebook Mobile help claims that you can create an album on the
Mobile site, but I have yet to find a “create” button.

I have no experience using screen magnification software. I can
imagine that on the iPhone the steps are similar except that you will
possibly be able to use your vision to help you find the right
photos/buttons, and perhaps the regular Facebook website is more
accessible. If so, their help topics can be found quite easily.

So that is the insight I have now, kind of disappointing.

Cindy