[nfbwatlk] FW: [wtbbl] Exciting releases and launches from WTBBL!

Mike Freeman k7uij at panix.com
Mon Sep 23 21:33:36 UTC 2013

From: WTBBL [mailto:wtbbl at list.statelib.wa.gov]
Sent: Monday, September 23, 2013 1:45 PM
Subject: [wtbbl] Exciting releases and launches from WTBBL!

We are pleased to announce two exciting new releases from your Washington
Talking Book & Braille Library (WTBBL)  and the National Library Service for
the Blind and Physically Handicapped (NLS)! The first is the new Braille and
Audio Reading Download (BARD) Mobile app, which is now available to all
registered patrons and the second is the release of WTBBL's new website,
which will officially launch Tuesday, September 24, 2013.

BARD Mobile Icon
BARD Mobile

First, as many have already seen through various listservs and through the
Braille and Audio Reading Download (BARD) user lists, the mobile application
for BARD has been released!! This is a very exciting development because it
allows all WTBBL patrons to download an app on their Apple mobile device
that can download and play their books in audio and braille! An Android
based app will be available, but has been delayed until 2014.

To download the app, go to the App Store on your iOS device and search for
"Bardmobile" or "nls," it should show up as one of the first three results.
The app is completely Free to download and you can download the app on an
iPhone 3GS or later, a fourth- or fifth-generation iPod touch and any of the
iPads. The device must be running iOS 4.3.3 or later and you can install the
app on up to 5 devices.  While the app is Free, like any other app that
downloads content, some data charges may apply if you use your data plan for
downloading. You can choose to only download using Wi-Fi, by turning off the
"Download over mobile network" setting in your BARD Mobile App User Account
Settings menu.

You will need a BARD NLS account to download books once you have the app, if
you do not have an account, submit an application here:
http://1.usa.gov/1bBJmyp. After you submit your application, you will need
to log-in at a desktop or laptop computer to create a permanent password to
use in the BARD Mobile app. If you have an account and need your password
reset, contact the library at 800-542-0866.

All of the iOS devices have VoiceOver built in, which will read the screen
aloud to you as you navigate the app. For those new to Voiceover, here is a
great resource that will explain some of the gestures that you use the
navigate your iOS device:
http://accessibility.umn.edu/tl_files/accessibility/podcasts/gestures.pdf.

Lastly, there is an online user guide, which is also built into the app :
https://nlsbard.loc.gov/apidocs/BARDMobile.userguide.iOS.1.0.html. A video
introduction, featuring staff from NLS, is available at
www.loc.gov/today/cyberlc/feature_wdesc.php?rec=5955.

Look out for more tips from WTBBL on our website about BARD mobile on our
developing BARD Mobile App page <http://www.wtbbl.org/BARD-Mobile.aspx> .

In celebration of this new point of access for our talking books, we'd love
to hear from you! Tell us the title of the first book you downloaded, any
comments or feedback about the app and we will feature your comment in our
next "Reading Matters" newsletter, set to be released December 31, 2013.

Email your comments to wtbbl at sos.wa.gov.

Announcing our website redesign!

Screenshot of WTBBL's redesigned website

We are pleased to announce the launch of our newly designed website! The new
site will be officially launch on Tuesday, September 24, 2013! The URL will
remain www.wtbbl.org, but you will notice that the layout, colors and style
have changed.

The goal in redesigning the WTBBL webpage was to create a site that could be
used as an outreach tool and remain accessible for all of our patrons.
Everyone at WTBBL, including several patrons, our Patron Advisory Council
members and volunteers, were involved in the evolution of the site and
planning the new layout.

What's New?

Homepage:

The new homepage will feature announcements and updates in the What's New at
WTBBL section. There are also images, which are labeled, showing events
WTBBL has hosted. Look out for new pictures! There are also headings in the
Our Services section that will take you directly to the Application, Youth
Services page, Download Books page, Radio Reading Service webstream links
and the Tour the Library page.

Navigation:

The new site will feature a new dropdown navigation bar that will give you
direct access to areas of the site. The new header features a direct link to
our Online Catalog, the option to increase and decrease text size on the
site, the option to change the contrast of the site from light to dark, and
the ability to search for content on the entire site.

Color Scheme:

As mentioned, the WTBBL website is an incredibly useful outreach tool to
spread the word about services we provide! The new color scheme features
colors in-line with the style of our building in Seattle, which was built in
the 1940s. As mentioned, there is the option to change the contrast for
easier reading.

What hasn't changed!

If you have our online catalog, download pages for web braille or audio
books from WTBBL or the main homepage bookmarked, your bookmarks will still
work! Some pages do have new website addresses so you can search, using the
new search box, or contact the library, if you are having problems finding a
page you've bookmarked in the past.

Other things that are the same are our hours, phone number and email
address! While our website has a new look, you can expect and receive the
same service and support as in the past.

Many more updates.

Those are just some of the new features in the redesigned www.wtbbl.org
website. Check back often to learn about new events at the library through
our Calendar of Events and as always, you can stay up-to-date by "Liking"
our Facebook page <https://www.facebook.com/WTBBL> ! Take a moment on
Tuesday to browse through the new site and let us know what you think! We
look forward to hearing your feedback by emailing us at wtbbl at sos.wa.gov.

Washington Talking Book & Braille Library Technology Team