[nfbwatlk] wheelchairs at Seatac and a cane incident

Mary ellen gabias at telus.net
Sun Dec 14 22:24:03 UTC 2014

Canes are like cars.  Sometimes they're a bit of a nuisance to park.  I
don't think, though, that drivers are asked to use a car they do not like in
order to park it more easily.  If they made a folding cane I like, I might
consider using one.  I own one now for use in emergencies only.  I recognize
that others may find folding canes effective, but every one I've ever used
gives inferior feedback.  They tend to wobble after they've been used very
often.  As for the telescoping variety, I find they telescope while I'm
walking.  Dr. Jernigan loved his telescoping cane.  I'm glad he did.  His
hands were strong enough that his cane never telescoped unexpectedly.  Not
so for me!  It's good that there are varieties to fit varying preferences.
I do not feel a folding or telescoping cane is a viable option for me.