[nfbwatlk] Discrimination on Metro bus

Mike Freeman k7uij at panix.com
Mon Dec 29 06:13:33 UTC 2014

Mary Ellen:

Right you are!

However, in searching the Americans with Disabilities Act, I find that the
prohibition against requiring a person with a disability to use special
accommodations, programs or services if the person does not desire them
seems to apply to Title III -- Prohibition Against Discrimination in the
Provision of public accommodations, programs or services by private entities
-- unless by court ruling or DOJ regulation this provision is construed to
apply to title II also (which is the title covering public entities such as
Metro). Certainly, the provision referred to above is violated. But if it
applies only to title III entities, I think we're going to have to argue
that Mike and Cindy were discriminated against because they were deprived of
the service (the bus ride) per se rather than arguing that they were being
forced to accept services that were separate or different.

We might want to ask Megan Sidhou about this.

In any case, Marci, I can point you at the relevant United States Code
provisions where the law resides if you need them.

Mike Freeman