[nfbwatlk] NFB of Washington Spring Seminar Announcement

M J mjc59 at comcast.net
Thu May 1 01:10:52 UTC 2014

COME & JOIN YOUR FELLOW FEDERATIONISTS FOR A FUN & FRUITFUL DAY IN MAY!

Below is the agenda for our NFBW Spring Seminar on May 17th. It will take place at City University of Seattle, 521 Wall St. (SW corner of 6th & Wall) from 9:00 a.m.-4:30 p.m..

Several Metro bus stops are within walking distance of CityU and there are public parking lots across 6th Ave (approx. $8 per day) For questions about transit access contact Jacob Struiksma at 206-387-7736 or jacobstruiksma at gmail.com. Please feel free to contact me with any other questions at 206-604-5507 of mjc59 at comcast.net.

Morning & afternoon snacks, as well as bottled water, will be provided by the Greater Seattle Chapter. There is a Starbucks coffee shop inside the building. Lunch (pizza & beverages) will be provided FREE by the affiliate. There will be a 50/50 drawing to benefit the NFBW. Tickets will be $1 each. Bring your $$ and buy lots of tickets! There is no charge for attending our seminar but any donations to help defray the costs of the seminar will be gladly accepted.

Please feel free to copy and circulate the agenda far and wide. We encourage new members or other interested persons to attend. It is my hope to strengthen our affiliate and bring us closer together. The future can be exciting, and it is up to all of us to make it so.

See you on May 17th!

Marci Carpenter
mjc59 at comcast.net
206-604-5507

National Federation of the Blind
of Washington
Spring Seminar
Saturday, May 17th, 2014
9:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
City University
521 Wall St., Seattle

9:00 a.m. Welcome

9:05 a.m.-10:30 a.m. Getting To Know Each Other & Our NFBW History
  *Each person will be given a slip of paper with a word or phrase, and will have to find the person with the matching word or phrase (Jacobus & tenBroek, white cane & law). She/he will be told which one to look for, will find the other person & exchange info about each other. Everyone will come back together and introduce their partners. Then we will choose a few pairings to talk about vis-a-vis NFBW history.

10:30 a.m.-10:45 a.m. Break

10:45 a.m.-Noon State legislation; how to Turn Our Issues into Law
  *Representative Eileen Cody, (D), 34th District - The     State Legislative Process
  *Discussion of possible future NFBW legislation

12:00 p.m.-1:00 p.m. Lunch

1:00 p.m.-2:00 p.m. Mock Interviews with Legislators
  *Break up into small groups. Each group is assigned a legislative issue, develops a skit around that issue (a mock interview or hearing) & performs the skit for the whole seminar.

2:00 p.m.-3:00 p.m. Building Chapters & Attracting New Members: A Panel Discussion

3:00 p.m.-3:15 p.m. Break

3:15 p.m.-4:00 p.m. Agencies & Entities Serving Blind Washingtonians; Who They Are, How Do We Relate To Them & What are Opportunities To Serve On Their Boards/Committees

4:00 p.m.-4:30 p.m. Next Steps & Wrap Up