[nfbwatlk] Re religion observationsee

Lauren Merryfield via nfbwatlk nfbwatlk at nfbnet.org
Fri May 30 18:56:49 UTC 2014

Hi,
I read somewhere that only 5% of disabled people attend church. That is really sad. I've certainly heard stories of lack of acceptance or inclusion and I've experienced it myself. The church I just started attending 3 months ago is better at including me and talking to me but they keep wanting to heal me from blindness. But I know they mean well. I made the switch from Unity, which says it is Christian but it isn't Bible-based, and they expect people to be perfect. Now I'm in a Pentecostal church and they expect people to have issues and be helped, and saved, by Jesus. Big switch for me! I don't think politically etc, as most of them do, but so far that hasn't been a big issue because I keep quiet about those things.

One of the Bible study leaders said it didn't matter to him if I was blind or anything else, they were glad to have me. I hadn't heard anything like that for years and years in a church setting.
Blessings,
Lauren

Ephesians 5 19-20 KJV
19 Speaking to yourselves in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord;
20 Giving thanks always for all things unto God and the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ;
Advice from my cats:"Meow when you feel like it."
My book:"there's more than one way to be okay":
www.Theresmorethanoneway.com