[nfbwatlk] Job hunting

Debby Phillips semisweetdebby at gmail.com
Mon Nov 10 00:22:25 UTC 2014

But Mike, we aren't all techno geeks like you are.  (Grin).  If
someone goes to a job and applies and gets hired and then finds
out that the program that they're using won't work with JAWS, and
that person is basically good with computers in that they can
turn the thing on, knows how to navigate stuff, but not how to
fix the problem then how are they going to be responsible for
finding a solution? I think that's what's different now.  It was
easy to do stuff before when all one needed to do was make a card
file with names and phone numbers on it for doing information and
referral, for instance.  Or having a reader once a week or once a
month, whatever, was the "reasonable accommodation" you needed to
do the job.  I don't, for instance, know how to write script that
is compatible with JAWS.  So when the solutions are easy fixes,
then they're easy to do, and figure out.  For instance if there's
a phone with lots of additional buttons, it's not hard to put a
braille label on the ones you use most of the time.

Watching Seattle play now.  Woohoo!    Debby