[nfbwatlk] Re job hunting: an "Inconvenient truth?"

Mary ellen gabias at telus.net
Mon Nov 10 22:24:59 UTC 2014

Language does matter; so does point of view.

Flexibility of mind is a huge asset.  The more everyone involved approaches employment as a means to meet needs, the more flexibility of mind is likely to be employed.

Elizabeth, I cheered out loud when you said:
" Women didn't ask for "accommodation" when we  insisted on gender appropriate bathrooms in the workplace, maternity leave, and equal pay for equal work."
Somehow we and the people who consider us for employment must get to the point where we step back from contemplating the obstacles to employment (whether real or imagined), and think instead of whether an applicant brings enough to the table to be worth a little extra thought or "accommodation."

Back in the day when secretaries took shorthand dictation, I worked with two women.  Both were very bright.  One took dictation as fast as I could give it.  The other didn't know shorthand at all and was much slower.  The one who took dictation rapidly considered the job as something to do from 8:00 to 5:00 until something more to her liking came along.  The woman without shorthand skills considered the work we were doing to be exciting, worthwhile, and something she could believe in.  Both women happened to be fully sighted.  The woman who didn't care much about the work was let go; the woman with poorer skills was retained.

Successful employment happens because a lot of things come together.  Character counts.  It counts far more than many job seekers realize.

I also believe that blind people sometimes need to work much harder to achieve good results because of inaccessible technology and the fact that the world is designed around the use of sight.  I wish that weren't true.  I also believe that there's a limit.  It sounds as if you may have been very close to that limit, Elizabeth, in your earlier job.  Each of us has to judge for ourselves.  I believe, however, that blind people do need to be prepared to put out much more effort than others are expected to put out.  It's too bad in some ways, but very good in others.  Thinking employers will recognize and value the fact that we're willing to put more thought into our work, work harder than others, and value our jobs because they're hard to come by.

Get an employer "hooked" on our personal qualities and that employer is much more likely to be creative about finding solutions to technology problems.

That doesn't always work.  An employer hired several blind individuals to work in a customer service telephone room.  The company was bought out by a larger company that used inaccessible software.  The manager worked very hard to retain the blind employees whose work he valued.  The company that bought him out wasn't willing to budge and the blind people are all looking for work. It's that sort of difficulty that's very hard to overcome and is one of the major obstacles we face.  While we figure out the technical solution, let's make sure we continue to celebrate the personal qualities that make us valued employees.  Sometimes blindness puts us in tough spots.  This economy desperately needs people who have experience in dealing with tough spots.  As the economy changes for everyone, blind people can model the character traits and creative skills the new economy needs.