[nfbwatlk] FW: [nfb-talk] FW: Richard Bernstein Elected to the Michigan supreme Court

Mike Freeman k7uij at panix.com
Sun Nov 16 20:52:36 UTC 2014

-----Original Message-----
From: nfb-talk [mailto:nfb-talk-bounces at nfbnet.org] On Behalf Of Michael
Hingson via nfb-talk
Sent: Sunday, November 16, 2014 11:50 AM
To: 'NFB of California List'; 'NFB Talk Mailing List'
Subject: [nfb-talk] FW: Richard Bernstein Elected to the Michigan supreme
Court

From: Xavier, Joe at DOR [mailto:Joe.Xavier at dor.ca.gov]
Sent: Sunday, November 16, 2014 09:58 AM
To: Xavier, Joe at DOR
Subject: Richard Bernstein Elected to the Michigan supreme Court

http://www.friendshipcircle.org/blog/2014/11/05/richard-bernstein-brings-bli
nd-justice-to-the-michigan-supreme-court/?utm_content=buffer949c4&utm_medium
=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

__._,_.___

Voters answered Richard Bernstein's call to blind justice on Tuesday,
November 4th, with his election as Michigan Supreme Court Justice. With his
election a transformational message was sent to America's disability
community, and to the nation as a whole, that the fundamental rights of
people are to be expanded. Bernstein will provide a voice not only for the
Democratic party within the Supreme Court, but for people with disabilities
and individuals whose voices may otherwise go unheard.

"I have come to believe that life is not always fair, but judges should
always be," Bernstein said. "I'm here because I believe in the idea of blind
justice. I'm here because I believe in the idea of fairness for all people."

Rising to the challenge
<http://www.friendshipcircle.org/blog/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/Richard-Wal
king-e1415183424500.jpg>

Throughout his campaign Richard Bernstein, being blind since birth, called
attention to his condition and constantly highlighted his struggles in
education and his work as a legal advocate for individuals with
disabilities. His story is a powerful narrative of the triumph of the human
spirit. His rise to the center of Democratic politics and his election into
the Supreme Court is a significant demonstration that disability does not
mean inability.

Rabbi Levi Shemtov, co-founder of Friendship Circle International and
Executive Director of Friendship Circle of Michigan said, "This is a
milestone and a cause for celebration for all those who advocate on behalf
of individuals with special needs. Richard's accomplishment will be an
inspiration to all those working to overcome a disability."

Richard Bernstein is living proof that anyone can overcome a disability.
"You come to realize that there's tremendous power within you," Bernstein
said. As a man who was not dealt a fair hand in life, he knows a thing or
two about tapping into that "power within."

Law School Experiences

Bernstein never allowed his disability to hinder any of his achievements and
he received a juris doctorate degree, a first professional graduate degree
in law, from Northwestern University, not an easy task in itself.

Before his acceptance Bernstein fought the Law School Admissions Council
against the visual bias of the LSAT, claiming the test discriminates against
the blind due to its requirements of interpreting visual materials. Four
universities agreed with Bernstein and at the time of his admittance he was
the only blind individual in the law school.

To complete his studies, Bernstein would memorize lectures and notes that
were read aloud to him. For tests, he memorized the questions and entire
fact patterns, the basis for questions. Some of these were as long as five
pages of information. The fact patterns would be repeated to him until he
committed the entire question to memory and was able to provide an answer.
>From there he proceeded to become a lawyer and practice law in federal
court. But he did not just stop there.

+++++

the information contained in this communication is for information purposes
only and does not constitute an endorsement or request for action by the
NCSAB.