[nfbwatlk] Sounds Like Alaska Airlines Needs a *lot* of Education/Training on HumanRelations

Wed Apr 8 13:49:28 UTC 2015

I heard a news story this morning about Alaska Airlines "kicking" a lady off a plane bound for California from Hawaii. The story goes that the lady was coming back to California to continue undergoing chemotherapy for canser. She just told the gate attendant at the Hawaii airport that she was feeling weak, but was fine to continue the trip. The gate attendant then said she couldn't fly because she might be too sick to do so. She would need a doctor's statement clearing her.

Now to all of those who have been kicked off a flight, or otherwise treated differently than others  because of the desire to keep a cane, or refused to move from an assigned seat because of blindness or because of their mobility equipment, i.e. dog guide or cane, this is a familiar action on the part of Alaska, and other airlines for that matter. Perhaps news reporters, etc, will take more notice of these things for us as blind folks too! Remember the recent issue with Alaska Air and our own NFB member in Washington State.

BTW, I guess the lady involved in the story got an apology from the airlines. Good press relations you know.

/s/

Bennett