[nfbwatlk] Frustrated parent

Lilly awaterlilly at comcast.net
Fri Jan 2 03:01:12 UTC 2015

Kristina,
I wish you luck on this. I am not low income but I could not afford an
attorney either.

Although I started each school year meeting with my son's teachers to be
sure they all understood his needs for his low vision, perhaps half of the
time he was accommodated. I was shocked at how hard it was to get teachers
to provide what he needed consistently in his public elementary school.

I decided not to sue the school district because it takes so long, it makes
people nastier to work with in the long run  and in the meantime, my son
wasn't getting what he needed.

I ended up tutoring him a lot at home and then sent him to WSSB in middle
school. It was a Godsend. He got caught up in his classes and even advanced
to high school math and science by the time he was in eighth grade. WSSB was
an excellent choice for us.

For high school, we visited four options in our school district and he chose
to attend a small magnet school where they control class size (25 or so
students) and can kick out trouble-makers and bullies. It is a privilege to
attend since kids apply to be I it so they need to tow the line to stay in.

My son is in his 10th grade year. So far, so good.

Also, I have heard that Lynwood SD in WA  has VI teachers on stall. I don't
know if this is still true, but I knew a mom who was thrilled with the
school district. That was about eight years ago.
I hope this helps.
Lilly