[nfbwatlk] Another device to help us "see"

Debby Phillips semisweetdebby at gmail.com
Fri Jun 26 13:28:52 UTC 2015

Mike, I think we understand you.  Many of us have been cane
users.  It's tempting sometimes, trust me.  I think folks who are
good cane travelers and maybe aren't into dogs, don't understand
why we would want all the work and responsibility.  And I say,
hey, I don't mind all the work, (most of the time) but if you do
not like the idea, then you definitely should use your cane and
happy trails! During my time at CCB, I became very attached to my
cane.  Lol.  And when it broke when I was working at Lighthouse
last summer, I was kind of sad.  That cane was the one I used for
my drop-offs, and my Monster Route.

When I travel with my dog and we have a difficult route, things
happen, the bond between us gets tighter because we have gone
through this experience together.

When I got my first dog, I was not a very confident traveler,
although I had good cane skills.  I started venturing out more in
the beginning because my dog needed work.  Then after I got
married and we moved to Colville, well....  Some of you know how
dreadful that was for me, so I won't go into that.  But one of
the best things that ever happened to me was going to CCB.  I
still have a cruddy sense of direction in some ways, but I am not
so afraid to go, and would do so even if I didn't have Nova.  The
only thing that I don't enjoy with a cane is going for walks.
With Nova I enjoy just going for walks for the pure pleasure of
moving.  Well, I need to go to work, so it's time to catch the
bus.    Debby