[nfbwatlk] deepening our understanding and resolve about treatment of blind people by airline personnel

Mike Freeman k7uij at panix.com
Thu Mar 26 18:20:44 UTC 2015

Mary Ellen:

I agree that all who have participated in this thread have had useful things
to contribute. That's the beauty of these lists.

I'm not as certain as you appear to be, however, that "power-tripping" plays
as great a role in these incidents as you believe. Rather, I see one of the
principal elements driving airline behavior is the wish to pidgeon-hole
everyone into categories, each of which has prescribed ways for airlines to
deal with issues affecting them. This minimizes, so the thinking goes, the
necessity for airline personnel to think independently, thus possibly making
mistakes and/or bringing on lawsuits.

I also am beginning to suspect that educating airline personnel, while still
the ideal, is not going to work due to the rapid turnover in airline
personnel these days. I suspect we're going to have to come up with
strategies that make it prohibitively costly for airlines to allow
despicable behavior such as we're discussing here. I confess I haven't a
clue what these strategies would look like, though.

Mike