[nfbwatlk] Cyrus Habib becomes Lieutenant Governor

Elizabeth Rene rene0373 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 9 18:39:13 UTC 2016

Dear all,
Regardless of all other feelings we may have today following last night's election returns, regardless of individual beliefs and political affiliations, we blind people have unqualified reasons to rejoice in Washington's choice of Cyrus Habib as our next Lieutenant Governor.
He won a very tough statewide race, and enjoys the respect of many, many people in Olympia, based on his merit as a leader. His blindness is incidental.
I've met Cyrus in connection with law and policy matters advanced by my county bar association, and he was a gracious and highly competent state representative and senator.
Politics is not for everyone, and we don't all have to be superstars. But Cyrus is living the life he wants, he's living proof that we can do that too in our own spheres of life, and his public prominence and example of solid ability open new doors for us, giving us all a reason to stand just a little taller as we claim our place in society.  Isn't that what the NFB celebrates?
Let us give hearty and joyful thanks for all blind people, members or not, who walk the walk and shove aside the barriers to full participation in life - for everyone.

Elizabeth M René
Attorney at Law
WSBA #10710
KCBA #21824