[NFBWATLK] sad news

Marci Carpenter mjc59 at comcast.net
Thu Aug 10 17:57:06 UTC 2017

I received a call yesterday informing me of the death of Jan Ames, long-time director of the Washington Talking Book and Braille Library. Jan had lung cancer which had gone into remission with some treatment, but it recently returned. There is no information right now about any memorial, but I will post if I learn of anything.

After learning braille at the age of 18 I toured WTBBL and met Jan. I was very excited about being able to read books in braille. Jan encouraged me and helped me select my first braille book; a collection of humorous stories by Erma Bombeck.

Jan was a true advocate for literacy and reading for blind people in Washington.