[NFBWATLK] Mike Freeman

Arielle Silverman arielle71 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 4 02:45:06 UTC 2017

Hi all. I am keeping those of you who were close to Mike in my
thoughts. I think he touched many lives in the Federation. I first
started exploring the NFB when I was in high school, and before I was
able to attend many meetings in-person, I would participate on the
student list. I remember I used to try to "test" the NFB by posting
controversial views on the student list. I had heard that the NFB was
radical and militant, and I wanted to see what would happen if I
posted something that was inconsistent with the so-called "NFB way".
Mike was one of the moderators of the student list and he took the
time to respond to my posts, but never in a "militant" or
confrontational manner, he simply addressed my arguments with logic
and articulated his views and the reasons for them. It was because of
guys like Mike who were patient and understanding with me that I
eventually decided to give the organization a try. I met Mike at an
NFBWA convention in 2007, just before I graduated from college, and we
shared a good laugh about some of my posts from back then. I know we
will all miss his leadership and dedication.
Arielle