[NFBWATLK] Invitation to Seattle Disability Commission Candidate Forum

Nightingale, Noel Noel.Nightingale at ed.gov
Wed Oct 11 15:27:58 UTC 2017

From: Cindi Laws [mailto:cindilaws at msn.com]
Sent: Tuesday, October 10, 2017 9:53 PM
Subject: Invitation to Seattle Disability Commission Candidate Forum

Hello!

Please join us! The Seattle Commission for People with Disabilities is presenting, along with our friend and fiscal sponsor, the Alliance of People with Disabilities, a candidate forum on disability issues. Attached is the flyer in multiple formats so you can share with your friends and networks, post on your websites and social media.

The forum is this Friday, October 13, from 3 PM - 8 PM in the Downtown Seattle Library. We have separate panels for each race: Seattle Mayor, Seattle City Attorney, Seattle Council Positions 8 & 9, and Seattle Port Commission Positions 1, 3 & 4. Timing, directions and parking information is on the flyer.

This is a first for us, but the Commission is on a roll. This year alone, Commissioners:

  *   Repealed the Seattle policy that allowed a subminimum wage paid to people with disabilities;
  *   Convinced Commissioners at the Port of Seattle to start the process to make SeaTac the "Most Accessible Airport in America";
  *   We were part of a successful $300 million lawsuit against the City of Seattle to built or fix thousands of curb cuts;
  *   We obtained a nearly $800,000 budget line item for CART service in every City Council and Committee meeting, along with captioning of Seattle Channel programming; and more.
  *   We have legislation proposed to allow caregivers or personal attendants free admission to museums, sporting events and other venues when accompanying  a person with a disability;
  *   We have requested a budget line item so that victims of crime (all too often PWD) will not have to pay a fee to obtain a copy of the Seattle Police Department crime report;
  *   And we are engaged in six different transportation projects to improve mobility, pedestrian access, and wheelchair accessible taxi and vehicle policy.

We hope you agree the importance of being involved in the electoral process. Because who gets elected will help determine how much the quality of life will improve for people with disabilities.

Thank you!

Cindi Laws

(206) 790-4232

Co-Chair

Seattle Commission for People with Disabilities