[NFBWATLK] listen to the NAGDU convention

Becky Frankeberger b.butterfly at comcast.net
Sun Jul 1 17:38:40 UTC 2018

Please circulate the following message as widely as appropriate.

                This year's annual seminar of the National Association of
Guide Dog Users and its annual meeting will be streamed live. To listen to
the stream, please visit

http://nagdu.org

and click on the link to the live stream. The stream will be available
approximately 15 minutes prior to each session.

                The National Association of Guide Dog Users, a strong &
proud division of the National Federation of the Blind, is excited to offer
the most dynamic, informative events in the nation for guide dog users at
our national convention in Orlando. Thanks to the generous support of our
sponsors

Accessible360

Mobile Vet Clinic of Brandon

On the Go Dog Gear by Julie Johnson

Ray of Sunshine Empowerment Services LLC

RuffWear

Texas Association of Guide Dog Users

Veterinarian Emergency Clinics of Central Florida

NAGDU is offering some incredible programs for our members! through a live
stream!

Tuesday, July 3, 2018

1:00 - 10:00 p.m.

1:00 - 1:45 p.m. Registration. Registration is free & required to be
eligible for door prizes!

2:00 - 3:30 p.m. Is My Dog in Crisis?

Lori Tilley, D.V.M.

Veterinary Emergency Clinic of Central Florida

                A board certified emergency veterinarian will share how to
assess if your dog's health issue is an emergency needing immediate
attention. She will also give us tips on how to avoid a trip to the
emergency clinic, as well as maintaining wellness, preventive care, grooming
tips, and first aid.

3:45 - 5:00 p.m. Advocacy and Access: Everyone has a Part to Play

Calling Out Counterfeit Service Animals: The myth, the image, and the law

Facilitator: Marion Gwizdala, President

National Association of Guide Dog Users

                With the growing challenge of untrained dogs in public and
the problems they create for legitimate guide & service dogs, we must be the
voice of reason. Join us as we mobilize our division to solve the problem!

This interactive program is a must for all guide dog users, those wishing to
become better advocates for guide dog users and other disabled individuals,
and public and private entities wanting to know their rights.

5:00 - 6:00 p.m. Dinner break

6:00 - 6:45 p.m. Registration - Registration is free & required to be
eligible for door prizes!

7:00 - 10:00 p.m. Living the Guide Dog User Life you want!

Part 1: Is It Time? The struggle of letting go.

Facilitator: Merry C. Schoch, LCSW

The retirement or passing of our guide dogs is a very challenging time and
one we will all eventually experience. A Licensed Clinical Social Worker and
guide dog user helps us through the process of retirement and loss

Part 2: Harness Up: The process of getting a guide dog and beyond

Various guide dog training programs & consumers

If you are interested in getting a guide dog, want to find out how they
really work, get to know what is involved in the application and training
process, and learn about the guide Dog User Lifestyle, this session is for
you! Guide dog training programs will share information about their programs
and guide dog users will help you understand what is required when you come
home.

Part 3: Guide Dog Show and Tail

                Guide dog users share their favorite gear, grooming tools,
and toys. If you have a favorite item to share, bring it with you for others
to learn about! Some of them will be yours to take home for you and your dog
to enjoy!

Thursday, July 5, 2018; 6:00 - 10:00 p.m.

Annual Meeting

6:00 - 6:45 p.m. - Registration. (Registration is free & required to be
eligible for door prizes.)

Membership dues of $5.00 are required for those who are not members of an
affiliate division to be eligible to speak on the floor, make & vote on
motions, and hold office.

7:00 p.m. Call to Order

Join NAGDU for the most exciting and important meeting of guide dog users in
the United States. Here are some of the highlights you will experience

Elect our 2018 - 2020 leadership

Supporting the NFB's national ridesharing testing initiative

Valerie Yingling

Learn about our advocacy with Delta Airlines

                Christine Bouchard, Delta Airlines

Learn how to comment on new regulations for the Air Carrier Access Act

                John Pare

Executive Director for Advocacy & Policy

Download & tour the newest version of the NAGDU Mobile App for iOS & Android

Raul Gallegos

Energizing reports from our affiliate divisions

                As you see, the NAGDU events are full of substance - the
place to be if you are an active guide dog user and advocate. Plan to join
us and enhance your knowledge and understanding. If you have any questions,
please do not hesitate to get in touch with us by email to

info at NAGDU.ORG <mailto:info at NAGDU.ORG>

We will see you in Orlando!

Marion Gwizdala, President

National Association of Guide Dog Users Inc. (NAGDU)

National Federation of the Blind

(813) 626-2789

President at NAGDU.ORG <mailto:President at NAGDU.ORG>

Visit our website <http://nagdu.org/>

Follow us on Twitter <http://twitter.com/nagdu>

expectations because low expectations create barriers between blind  people
and our dreams. You can live the life you want! Blindness is not what holds
you back.